Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lift and tires

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88bblazen, Mar 28, 2004.

1. 88bblazen

88bblazen Registered Member

i'm about to lift my 88 blazer and wondering what would be a good size lift and tires combo. i dont need it really huge but want it higher than it is now /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

What are you planning on using this truck for? If you just want it higher than it is now, I would go with a 4 inch lift and some 33's. AT's or MT's, whichever you prefer. This looks very good to me and isn't too high or too low, plus it gives you room to move up if you ever decide to.

Kris

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Yep, 4" and 33's won't tax a stock truck too much and if you pop in some LS or lockers you can wheel some suprisingly tough terrain. IE Beaterchevy.

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

12" and 38's/42's. Belive me, nowdays, thats not big!

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

12" and 42" ?

Good for the bogs I suppose

But then theres axles/crossover/drivshafts/gears/tranny/body to mod the hell out of

I don't think he's going for a mud runner, or an Rjfguitarer (actually I'm "too tall" too...)

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    12" and 42" ?

Good for the bogs I suppose

But then theres axles/crossover/drivshafts/gears/tranny/body to mod the hell out of

I don't think he's going for a mud runner, or an Rjfguitarer (actually I'm "too tall" too...)

[/ QUOTE ]

Its about 14" now, but whos counting?

Not that much mud in CA, where I am anyway.

Your right about everything EXECPT the body, I love my First Gen, NO CUTTING!

Maybe hed like a 9" with 38's?

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    or an Rjfguitarer (actually I'm "too tall" too...)

[/ QUOTE ]Mine is about the perfect size....plenty of room between the tires and non cut fenders. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gifI say go 10" on 35's.

8. mr_fujisawa

mr_fujisawa 1/2 ton status

i like the 4" w/ 35's
    it's not too big, but enough to still have fun with. if you want to see pics, follow the link in my sig line.
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. cochino12

cochino12 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i like the 4" w/ 35's
    it's not too big, but enough to still have fun with. if you want to see pics, follow the link in my sig line.
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Will that rub on a 10" rim?

10. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [i like the 4" w/ 35's

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif [ QUOTE ]
    Will that rub on a 10" rim?

[/ QUOTE ]
    It might. Depends on the tire you want to run. A35x12.50 on a 10" rim might not rub but you will just have to see. The width REALLY makes the difference though. I have 10" of lift and with the wheel cranked all the way I only have about 2-3" between the edge of the fender and my 35x16 boggers on 14's.

11. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i'd go with 3-4" of lift and 33-35" tires. it might rub a little, mine did. i used to be a purist and didnt want to cut my perfect body up, then my 33" tire crunched into it pretty good. 33 or larger tires will rub at full stuff if you unhook the sway bar. since then i did a modest trim job(even with the inner fender) and love it. IMO a real 4x4 should include some fender trimming. unless you want to be a mall poser. /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

12. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    IMO a real 4x4 should include some fender trimming. unless you want to be a mall poser. /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    bahahahahahahahahaha /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif You can't be serious. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

IMO you need clean untouched fenders to have something nice. Otherwise you are driving a beater. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

j/k /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

13. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

4" with fender trimming or 6" with 35's. If you are conservative with the skinny pedal you shouldnt have too many problems with broken parts on the stockdrive train.

14. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMO a real 4x4 should include some fender trimming. unless you want to be a mall poser.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bahahahahahahahahaha You can't be serious.

IMO you need clean untouched fenders to have something nice. Otherwise you are driving a beater.

[/ QUOTE ]

nicely trimmed fenders makes a truck look like its a functional off roader. i think Off Road Design's Sub represents exactly what im saying. tastful trimmimg and totally functional off road and on. beautiful truck

IMO 10 inches of lift to fit 35 boggers that see more armor-all than mud makes a truck look like a mall poser. accually i think thats the definition of a mall poser. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif j/k

just my opinion tho
    /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    4" with fender trimming or 6" with 35's. If you are conservative with the skinny pedal you shouldnt have too many problems with broken parts on the stockdrive train.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think even with a 6 inch lift you'll have clearance problmes with 35's if your unhooking the sway bar and stuffing tires. my buddies truck has 6" lift,35's on 15x10 rims with 4" backspacing and doesnt unhook the swaybar, still hits the back of the front fenders when offroad.
    i would also consider what gears your truck has, if you put 35's on you OD will suck. ive got 33's and had to go from 3.73 to 4.56 to make my OD useable.

15. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    IMO 10 inches of lift to fit 35 boggers that see more armor-all than mud makes a truck look like a mall poser. accually i think thats the definition of a mall poser. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif j/k

[/ QUOTE ] I don't use armor all, I use eagle one tire shine. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I used to mud a lot but it gets old and boring after while. Plus I got tired of spending half a day washing it all off and finding more and more scrathes in my rims. Mall poser or not, it's probably one of the cleanest and nicest K5's around and that is what matters to me. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Girls, girls, girls!!!! You're both pretty now go back in to the prom. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif For what it's worth, I am buildin a show car that prolly won't see many miles after it's done but I like to take the Blazer out and beat it around in the rocks. So there you have it. Good luck to y'all in the future.

Allan

17. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I used to mud a lot but it gets old and boring after while. Plus I got tired of spending half a day washing it all off and finding more and more scrathes in my rims. Mall poser or not, it's probably one of the cleanest and nicest K5's around and that is what matters to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

i know whatcha mean, just razzin ya a bit. if thats what floats your boat, more power to ya. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

but i still think that trimming the fenders a little (i.e. ORD Sub) makes the truck look more trailworthy. and fitting bigger tires with a lower lift is more offroad friendly. but that only matters if your not afraid to take it off road. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif