Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift block pins

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 74Chev, Aug 27, 2004.

1. 74Chev

74Chev 1/2 ton status

Does anybody know where to source the small pins that go into the bottom of the lift block and into the axle pad. The ($*&(# auto parts store guys around here say they have never hear of such a thing. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I am trying to get the 1 ton stuff out of my 74 pickup and under the Jimmy and this is holding me up.

Thanks

2. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

call me crazy, but i thought those were integrated into the block...if not, check out thier lift blocks(the part store downt the street from me seems em for like $20) /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. 74Chev

74Chev 1/2 ton status

I think that some are, but I know that when I put these in 10+ years ago the pins were separate and now one stuck down in my 14 bolt. I need to get a new pin so I can get the 12 bolt under the pickup to sell it.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I bet if you heat it with a torch it will come out. Even a propane torch is your friend here. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. gonecheenin

gonecheenin 1/2 ton status

I've used .50" long, 3/8 coarse thread allen head bolts for that exact purpose

6. 74Chev

74Chev 1/2 ton status

I would do that but my darn torch is about 100 miles away from me right now. I thought that someone might know of a parts store that might carry these stupid things. I can't believe that this is holding me up. I really hate to do a ghetto job on the truck I am selling to a friend.

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Why not just get leaf spring center pins? You can get them in varing lengths.

8. 74Chev

74Chev 1/2 ton status

That will not work becasue they will not fit into the lift block. Those leaf spring pins are threaded rod with a larger head/pin.

9. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Go to your local hardware store and buy drill rod of the proper size or a little larger and machine to fit. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Try a machine shop--I bought a chest of drawers from one that was cleaning out the shop at a sort of yard sale they had when relocating,and they were choch full of nuts,bolts,cotter pins,pipe fittings,air hose and hrdraulic hose fittings,ball and thrust bearings,and a whole drawer full of solid dowel pins,probably just what you need--and I have never needed yet so far--too bad your on the other side of the U.S.A.-.
    Maybe you could rob the dowel pins out of a junk block ,there are two on every chevy motor in the bellhousing--not sure,but they might be 7/16" though,maybe too big for what you want them for.But I bet a machine shop has lots of those pins,they use them in jigs to set up milling machines and other machine work. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

11. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I think they are 9/16", but I'm not sure. I made some once out of some bolts. I used grade 8 ones and cut out the section that is not threaded.

You might be able to get the old one out, though.

12. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I lost the center pins on my blocks, and used a small 1/4" socket that fit the size of the hole. Use a deep socket and cut it to length if need be. I ran that for years. Still on the truck actually...I need to do a shackle flip or somethin to ditch the things... /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif