Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift block sliding out?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ramses, Apr 8, 2005.

1. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

About a week ago I noticed that my left rear lift block had come off of the spring perch and slid back about a half inch. I loosened the u-bolts and hit it with a hammer and got it to where it looked like it was back on the perch and tightedned the bolts up. Today I noticed its back off and probly hanging off the perch about an inch. Im worried that it will squeeze out; since it is wedged shaped it seems possible for it to. I guess the center pin on the springs are keeping it where it is now. The blocks are a little over a year old. Soon ill be swapping them out for a shackle reversal but I need them for a little longer until I get the money. Im going to drop the axle enough to see if the little notch on the bottom that fits in the hole in the perch might be broken off, or if it just slid out of the hole and I didnt get it back on last time. Has anyone else had this problem before? Also, has anyone broken a lift block before? Ive heard theyll break easy but ive never actually seen it happen.

2. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I have heard of them breaking but have not seen it in person, but have seen a pic or two. A buddy back in the 80's lost one.. made for an interesting look to his truck. The nipple probably sheared off like you're thinking.

Just wondering.. maybe a spot weld here and there will keep it put, until you get the swap done? Then when you're ready just grind off the spot welds and you're in buisness. It may not handle anything harsh.. but perhaps it will stay put for normal driving? Just a thought. If not that, maybe just loosen the U bolts, jack it up and pull out the block.. drill out whats left of the nipple, and weld in a bolt that fits, cut it off where you need it, and slap it back together. It's just going to be a temp anyway.

Good luck

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It is likely either the stub on the bottom of the block broke off, or the U-bolts got a little loose and it slipped out of the hole. I would not drive it like this, if the block spits out (and it can very easily) you could have a serious situation on your hands.

You need to remove the U-bolts and jack the springs and block off the diff and correct the problem.

Rene

4. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I agree with Rene. You don't want that thing spitting out as you are driving. It could be dangerous for you and anyone else around you on the road.

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

the ubolts are now trash. get new ones. and be safer knowing that thay are new. dont ask me how i know this that you shouldnt reuse ubolts.