Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift Blocks and redrilling the spring perches?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MudFlap, Apr 3, 2003.

1. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

Is it possible to use lift blocks in the rear and redrill my spring perches to move my axle back?

Thanks

Trey

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I believe several people have done this. I plan on doing it myself.

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I don't see why not, but this seems to add some risk. As I am sure you are aware, blocks are "risky" (relative term) because of the fact that they do not attach to either the perch or the spring pack but are simply clamped between them by the u-bolts. The risk is fairly minimal in most circumstances, however, due to the amount of surface used to contact both the pack and the perch.

If you move the block offcenter on the perch, you are reducing the amount of paerch-block contact surface. You risk the block actually overhanging the perch some. This introduces much greater risk.

The offsets or zero rates that are commonly used to move the axle still sit squarely centered on the perch as the spring pack mounting point is basically moved forward or back on the offset. In addition, this "block" is bolted to the spring pack eliminating the possibility of it popping out.

If you run blocks and want to move your axle without using offsets (which you can still do with blocks), I personally would redril the spring pack and move the centering pin on the pack or modify the block to accept the relocated spring pack pin. I would not reposition the block on the perch.

Just my 4 cents!

4. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys, anybody else have anything to say about it?

Trey