Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift blocks for the front axle

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by deek, May 29, 2003.

1. deek

deek 1/2 ton status

Is it possible to use lifting blocks on the front axle, even if it is just a 1" zero rate block?
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> A zero rate, or any 1" block that bolts to the spring pack with the center pin, should be fine. Anything taller is asking for trouble. </font>

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

ya what shaggy said /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

agreed. whatever you do, dont ever ever ever put any kind of block up front that isnt part of the spring pack. baaaaaaaad idea. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

j

5. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

A zero rate is nothing more than a glorified block in my opinion. Even if it does bolt to the spring pack it still increases the torque arm length like a block without spreading it over the leaves. So even though its a lot less likely to fall out and cause a catastrophic accident it's still nothing more than a glorified lift block.

In Michigan, if a cop knows the law and sees you with a zero rate on the front axle you'll get a ticket. However, most of them won't notice a raised spring perch which does the same thing.

6. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    So even though its a lot less likely to fall out and cause a catastrophic accident

[/ QUOTE ]

thats all ya had to say. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I wouldn't say a lot less likely. I'd just say less likely. A block is a block, PERIOD.

8. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    I wouldn't say a lot less likely. I'd just say less likely. A block is a block, PERIOD.

[/ QUOTE ]

if its part of the pack, a zero rate is really no different than a spring pack with more leaves in it. Is a 4" lift spring with a ORD zero rate block in it more/less likely to cause a problem than a 12" lift spring?

j

9. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

If you think about it, it does stress things more than a leaf. A leaf will attempt to spread its weight over the other leaves more towards the eyes. A block puts it all right there at the center of the leaf and adds a longer torque arm length to boot.

EDIT:
    PS: An overload leaf does the same thing as a zero rate (doesn't contact the rest of the spring back anywhere but in the middle).

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> Of all the people on this site that run 0 rates in the front and thrash their trucks, when is the last time you heard of one causing a problem? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif </font>

11. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

go a step further
    of the thousands or more commercial vehicles running front blocks how often do you hear of them having problems?
    breaking a centre pin is common

blocks are a bad shortcut IMO

12. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

the key is maintaining the vehicle. If you had blocks up front, as long as the ubolts were properly torqued, you would be "less" likely to have them pop out. Probably would want to have a scheduled ubolt change as well.

If your like most vehicle owners, you do not fix things until its broken. Thats why the laws exist. There is alot more stress on the front end with weight shifting factors.
    I had zero rates on my front end before putting lift in. The condition of the old springs and pin was HORRIBLE. I have since changed my ways, but was most likely asking for trouble running that setup.

13. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

blocks are not as sinful as many make them out to be,
    but they still arent the best way
    and I would never recommend them
    better to do it right
    there is enough info on this site to figure out a longer front spring that will move the axle forward and ride better then most aftermarket chev 'off the shelf'

14. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Well, a trac bar will solve the front lift block problem /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]

EDIT:
    PS: An overload leaf does the same thing as a zero rate (doesn't contact the rest of the spring back anywhere but in the middle).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and No.
    At ride height it only contacts the middle of the spring (i.e. not adding to spring rate.....it's intended purpose), but as the spring compresses (under load) it spreads it's load out toward the eyes (although not as much as a typical contoured leaf).

To clarify, I would not "recommend" doing either (although in moderation it is NOT a sin). A zero rate and/or helper/overload spring is better than just a stacked block, but the correct solution is to buy a spring pack with the correct lift and spring rate for your application.

Regardless of which way you go, checking u-bolt torque and center pin at regular intervals is always advised.