Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift, caster and shims

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Dec 20, 2003.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

When you put a lift kit on your rig, the driveshaft angles get messed up, so the kits come with shims to correct the angle. On the front though, adding shims messes up the caster which might cause steering wander. How do you guys deal with this? Do you leave the shims off to keep the caster but compromise driveshaft geometry, or compromise steering in favor of the driveshaft? The only way I can think of to solve it properly is to have an axle shop actually rotate the diff housing up and leave the rest alone. This sounds major though.

I drive on the road 500 miles for every mile off road probably ( /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif), so it seems like I should get the caster right. The front driveshaft is only under load in 4WD. Right now I have the shims in there, but I'm noticing some wander (I think the steering components are tight).

Sorry I posted about this twice. The other time was embedded deep in another thread and I wanted some more eyes. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Typically, 4" and 6" lifts come with around 2* to 4* shims. That little of degree shim isn't going to mess with the caster cause the thickness of the shim isn't very thick. Its when you get into the higher degreed shims and extremely long shackles that do the caster in.

3. Mastiff

[ QUOTE ]
    Typically, 4" and 6" lifts come with around 2* to 4* shims. That little of degree shim isn't going to mess with the caster cause the thickness of the shim isn't very thick. Its when you get into the higher degreed shims and extremely long shackles that do the caster in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure? The stuff I've been reading makes it sound like only a few degrees is a big deal to proper steering.

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I've got a 2.5* shim in the front of mine with a 4" lift and I've never had any problems.

5. Mastiff

No other opinions on this? Did everyone just put the shims in and forget it?

6. txfireman110

txfireman110 1/2 ton status

I added shims to my four inch front and rear. This solved u-joint trashing problem and the steering didn't seem to suffer. The thing is, if you put on a lift and big tires, your steering is GOING to be affected. Dual stabilizers are great, WTO's Redneck Ram is better, both help reduce wander.