Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift decision. Long but I value your opinion

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cybrfire, Jan 26, 2003.

1. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

OK, This rig will mostly be used for mud running and a little crawling. Mostly muddin. Second, I have 44" tires on the way and a 454 up front so the spring choice has something to do with the weight so don't bark too loud if they aren't the flexiest springs out there. Cutting is cool but to an extent. I have this narrowed down to two different options. #1. a 7" lift acheived with a 6" Skyjacker front spring and 2" skyjacker rear spring and shackle flip, with zero rates on all corners. The advantage here is the ability to move the front forward and the flexy setup compared to choice number 2. #2 an 8" skyjacker upfront with a 4" skyjacker in the rear plus a shackle flip. The advantage here is it will actually be cheaper than the other route due to less peices involved. Not as flexy and a 1" higher center of gravity. Now, what do you guys think, (shielding my face from attackers) Oh by the way the cheaper calculation comes from a few minutes of online pricing and adding all peices involved except the steering corrections of which I have them for either already.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I would go w/ option #1 for the front and option #2 for the rear. The front is usually where the offset is needed and 1" more lift in the rear looks better-no saggy butt.

3. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I think you will need at least 8" of lift to keep from making your fenders nonexistant from trimming. You will want to consider limiting up travel as well. I have heard of 44's on 4" of lift, but the fenders were basically gone!

K5BLT4FUN is installing 42's on 6" springs with 2" body lift and still needs to trim the fenders more and limit up travel.

Post pics when you get done.

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I have broken spring centre pins so I do not like the idea of offset lift blocks on the front axle