Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift decisions... Please help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlackDog714, Feb 4, 2003.

1. BlackDog714

BlackDog714 1/2 ton status

Which would be better? A 6 in BDS lift in the front and a shackle lift with 2 in block in the back. Or a 4 in BDS lift with 1in 0 rates moving the axle forward 1 in and just the shackle flip in the back?

I am planning on running 37in SSR’s or 37 BFG’s .

My truck is an 86 GMC K3500 with a REAL crappy 4in lift with 35in BFG’s. Right now I rub like a bitch if I flex at all (I really think it’s a 2.5in OLD Les Schwab Rough Country lift, not a 4in). I am looking for a good ride and decent flex, but it is my daily driver, so it doesn’t need to get kooky off road.

Thanks for your help.

2. RatMan

RatMan 1/2 ton status

personally, i like the 4 in/zero option. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

keepin mind that with a 6 in lift, you will have to lengthen driveshafts. also, you'll probably have to trim the fenders with either one, depending on how much flexing you're gonna be doin.

3. BlackDog714

I'm not really going to be doing much off road with this truck. It goes camping like 3 or 4 times a year and to the dump like once a month. It rarely tows. I just drive it every day.

Oh yeah, I use it to recover my stupid friends who wheel alone and call me at 3 o'clock in the morning /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I would go 6" !!!!! For the rear, think 4" ORD Shackle flip, and 2.5" lift springs. I try to stay away from blocks when possible. Another suspension to check out for the rear is Springer Suspension With 37" tires, you'll still need to do some fender trimming even with 6" of lift, so You'd really need to hack the fenders with only 4" of lift. But hey, hack away, fenders just get in the way anyways. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. BlackDog714

Wouldnt the Springer be WAY too soft for a 1 ton? I mean I have 12 springs in the rear pack, that looks like its only got 3 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Are there any other good choices for springs besides BDS?

I will go to a small if I have to, because I think I would have to have a custom pair of rear springs made to have the same wieght carrying capiblities as the springs I have now.

6. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I'd go with the 6" with the flip and 2" blocks for now. Buying the 2.5" rear springs will get very pricy so I'd go with the blocks until I had an extra 300 bucks to spare.

7. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Go for 6in and softer springs.Use air bag overload system on rear.Only have to use it when loaded.get good ride rest of time. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gifer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. BlackDog714

Actually, the ride is fine in the rear. The front is almost unbearable right now.

Any suggestions on other springs?

How about shocks?

9. BlackDog714

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Wouldnt the Springer be WAY too soft for a 1 ton?

[/ QUOTE ] Might be. You'd have to ask Marv. Link on that site. If so, I'd go the 4" shackel flip and 2.5" lift springs then. I hear Tuff Country makes some soft springs for the front if you don't like the BDS.