Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift/ Drive shaft problems

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by blazen91, Aug 27, 2001.

1. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

Steven, these are posts I made in another section. Looking for your input. TIA.

Post 1;
    I just installed the ORD shackle flip, droped my t-case and the drive line angles are way off. Can I move my t-case back up and cut and weld the perches, which would put both angles at about 5-6 degrees? Or should I leave the case down and cut and weld the perches to match the case?

Post2;
    I left the t-case down. I have stock springs, a 4" shackle flip and a 1" 0 rate add-leaf. The bolts that hold the u-joint straps on are hitting the drive shaft yoke. Any body had this before? If I take out the 1" add-leaf, do you think it will fix the problem by lowering the drive shaft angle? Do you think a new drive shaft with 1350 joints would fix it? PLEASE HELP!!!

<font color=red>Land use issues.Get involved or all you will be able to do is jump curbs at the mall.</font color=red>

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

For best results, leave the t-case down, and match the angles by shimming or cutting and welding the perches. If you have a 4" lift, or more with an aluminum case, I would recommend going right to a CV jointed driveshaft, then you would want the pinion pointed right at the driveshaft.
    With the flip kit, it's a little odd that you're that far off, but I've had worse on my own and had to move the perches. 14 degress one time, ouch!

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

3. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

When I first set it up, (on an unlevel drive way) my t-case was 6 1/2 degrees and the rear yoke was at 14-15 degrees.

So to clearify, you think that with a 241, I should just go ahead with the CV shaft?

Thanks for all your help.

<font color=red>Land use issues.Get involved or all you will be able to do is jump curbs at the mall.</font color=red>

4. Stephen

I think the CV jointed driveshaft is a good idea. You can fight it all you want, but it's hard to get the angles right with a lift and a 241, especially with any kind of performance gear ratio in the axles.
    How's the pinion compared to the driveshaft? with a CV, you want it straight on, which is where most shackle flipped K5's end up.

SW-ORD

5. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

The output on the t-case is 7 degrees, the knuckle on the read end is 7 degrees, and the drive shaft is at 20 degrees(all measurments are on unlevel ground). I will be checking in on CV shafts tomorrow. Thank you for your help.

6. Stephen

Sounds like the problem with your driveshaft is the 13 degree included angle between the driveshaft and the t-case or pinion. I don't think a ujoint is happy running at high speed at that angle. Sounds like a CV is a good choice. We use Tom Wood's Custom Driveshafts on our stuff.

SW-ORD