Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lift feedback

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mccomas, Nov 28, 2003.

1. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

i am trying to order my springs so that i can install my axels in the next few weeks (d60/14bolt) but i am having a tough time deciding on the right combination. my first thought was a 2.5 shackle flip and skyjacker 2.5 inch springs in the rear for a total of 5 inches. i am only doing the 2.5 shackle because my springs are worn and must be replaced regardless of what i do. in the front i will install 4 inch skyjacker springs (i will pick up an extra ¾ inches with my d60 and ¼ inch with ord heavy duty front shackles). i can even anything up with a zero rate - either front or back.

my second thought was same up front (4 inch springs) and a 4 inch shackle flip in the rear with the 2.5 skyjacker springs. this is only an extra 1 ½ inches and as the first option i can use zero rates to even out if required.

i will run a 36 or 37 and know that i will have to cut some metal. i am also straight on my steering geometry. i know this gets ask daily but these springs are expensive and i want to get it right the first time. anyone have feedback on my option 1 or option 2?

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

just my opinion, but I like the 4" shackle flip + 4" front springs combo. 2.5" shackle flips are just silly IMO, ur gonna wanna go 4" or more of total lift eventually, might as well get it from the flip right off the bat. If you have to get new rear springs, I'd do just like u were sayin, put 2.5" ones in the back... preferably a pretty soft spring (tuffcountry or maybe bds) and add zero rates to the front (handy if u ever wanna move ur front axle up and/or shim for better pinion angles). If the rear sits too high even with the zero rates, just pull a leaf out of the rear spring packs.

j

3. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

When I lifted my truck I originally went with a Skyjacker 4"spring in the front and a 4"block in the rear (bad idea). My stock springs were sagging so I decided to try an Echobit flip in the rear with the stock springs. This setup left me pretty much level. The rear was a little bit higher than the front (less than 1 inch). I also ordered the heavy duty rear shackles from Echobit and that put my rear at 6" of lift with stock springs. I used a zero rate in the front and extended shackles in the front to make 6". I run 14" travel bilstien 5100s and use every bit of the travel in the rear. I used extended f250 shock towers in the front with the 14" travel bilstiens and with the swaybar disconnected the front uses almost all of the travel. It rides very nice and with the swaybar connected it handles very well on the street too.

Bottom line is for 4" I would keep your stock rear springs with the Echobit flip and run the 4" front spring of your choice.