Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift finally installed (for the most part) Lessons Lerned and ???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88Silverado, Nov 28, 2003.

1. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Front:
    Things that sucked:
    Opening spring packs with folded over metal bands sucks /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Trimming UHMWPE 3" wide material to 2.5" sucks /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Removing the adheasive material on the back of the strips sucks /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Rebending the metal bands sucks /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Having to open the holes on the steering arm and grind a little so it would clear the balljoing sucks /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Things that were good:
    ORD Greasable bushings, bolts HD shackles and swaybar disconnects /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Things Learned:
    Big Job. Took a good day and into the night. Didnt get shocks or extended lines installed. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    "Goof Off" remover works great for removing adheasive /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Front really wasnt that bad to do. Took longer than expected.

Rear: Shackle Flip, rebuild springs new bushings
    Things that Sucked:
    Was ALOT harder than front so that sucked /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Dropping Gas Tank sucks (Glad I drove it til empty) /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Removing rivets SUCKS /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Not having truck far enough in garage to close door so had to drop it on rebuilt springs but no shackle flip installed so I could roll it in for a couple days sucked /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Not having truck high to re-install everything sucks /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Rebuilding spring packs by cutting and cleaning more UHMWPE strips sucks /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Removing the spring and shackle bushings yourself sucks /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Having some guy at a garage take 1.5 hours and bend a shackle removing the bushings I gave up on and charge $30 sucks /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Busting 7 drillbits and never getting a rivet out sucks /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Removing Rivets SUCKS /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Having to removing tow hitch cuz it interferes with Shackle Flip sucks /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Having to cut tailpipe off cuz it interferes with shackle flip sucks /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Working in the garage when its in the upper 20's sucks /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Things that were good:
    ORD Shackle Flip bolted in place pretty easily. Had some problems getting bottom holes to line up but workable /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Rebuilding factory springs with bolt-type c-clamp /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Discovering you have an air chisel/punch you never used before to remove rivets /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    ORD greasable bushings and bolts /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Lessons Learned:
    I learned how to remove rivets. I ground off the heads on all but 2 and used the air-punch to easily drive them out. I used the air-chisel to remove the heads on last two (took a few minutes) and air-punch to remove them /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Never had success with drill method /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    Took longer than expected /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Things to do to complete:
    Extended Beakelines-
    This is obvious to me since I was stretching the stock ones installing the lift. For the front, just replace them with the NAPA ones or can I re-route the brakelines under the frame. Whats easier?
    Rear has to be replaced.

Shocks:
    I have 4 Doetsch 8403.
    They look like they might be a little too long for the stock hangers. Has anyone used them with a 4" shackleflip setup? Do I need to remove the 1" stopper at top??

Also, the bushings that come with the shocks are too small for the factory bolts. Do I just get a smaller bolt or is there a special bushing to use??

Im going to install the Ford towers next. Glad I know how to remove rivets now /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Outcome:
    Now it looks like a truck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    My wife likes the way it looks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I can now install my "Built Not Bought" CK5 Sticker /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Even though it was a fairly big job I learned alot.
    I know how its built and have the satisfaction on knowing I built it myself /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I know how its built and have the satisfaction on knowing I built it myself /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And in the end, that's all that matters.

I agree, the project you tackled definitely sucks, but at least it's done right.

I should rant about how much it sucks to replace a bent frame!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

Sounds familiar.......but why did you have to open the front springs?

Hows your pinion angles?

Wheres the PICS!!!!!

4. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

yea,yea, pics. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

sounds like a cool deal, shocks and brake lines arnt to bad, theres no better way to learn this stuff then just doen it... but you know we need some pix /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

and i bet ur truck isnt even very rusty..that will probobly take me a few days to get done with my truck!

7. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Extended Brakelines-
    This is obvious to me since I was stretching the stock ones installing the lift. For the front, just replace them with the NAPA ones or can I re-route the brakelines under the frame. Whats easier?
    Rear has to be replaced.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go with steel braided lines front and rear.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Extended Brakelines-
    Rear has to be replaced.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go with steel braided lines front and rear.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Front brake hoses for an 88 Chevy C1500 will be about 6" longer and work great. That's what I've got and they're less than 1/2 the cost of Stainless.

9. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

All those /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif make me /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

If that was a midwestern truck, you would be to pissed to even type about it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Nobody ever did say doing a lift install yourself would be a walk thru the park. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Once you've done enough lift installations on more than 1 truck, it becomes a breeze when you have the right tools. And yes, also when you have the time to do it, too.

Like others were saying about your " /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif".......pretty funny there! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

It's always amusing to see someone else rant when "Fantasy gets smacked down by Reality"...... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Everyone talks about 'slapping on a lift'....like it's nothing, when in reality it's a pretty HUGE deal...especially for someone who's never done it before.

Nothing comes apart the way you want, there are always parts you need that you don't have, and everything takes a LOT longer than you imagined it would. By the end of the project, your hands are bruised, and sore...you've got enough grease on your clothes that you can't in-good-conscience even put them in the washer for fear of contaminating it.....etc.

The payoff.....(and REALLY this is the essence of "Built Not Bought" to me) is when you step back at the end and look at what you've accomplished. It changes you forever. You don't see your truck the same way anymore....you start to see all the "parts" individually now, those new additions are a very personal part of you, because they represent struggle, and effort....and ultimately success.

It's a feeling you can NEVER get, by simply walking onto the showroom floor and "picking out" a vehicle, and writing the check.

Congrats! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It's always amusing to see someone else rant when "Fantasy gets smacked down by Reality"...... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Everyone talks about 'slapping on a lift'....like it's nothing, when in reality it's a pretty HUGE deal...especially for someone who's never done it before.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Maybe I got lucky somehow. Just a little over a month ago I put a lift on my truck myself. I put new bds front springs, echobit shackle flip in the rear, zero rates, new shocks, extended brake lines, and a 14ff in the rear, and did it in a day and a half with no problems really. I thought it was going to be a lot harder than it actually was. Now, getting the pinion angle right took more like 3 weeks after the lift. I put in shimms, took them out, lowered the t-case, raised it back up, then ended up spending about $300 on lengthening my driveshaft, and making it into a cv, then had to lower the t-case again last night. The pinion angle took a lot longer to get right than the lift did to put on. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    -Harrison

13. 88Silverado

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Yea...sorry for the rant. Was tired and pissed off /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    I havent looked at the pinion angle yet. Maybe later today (after I get the xmas lights and decorations up I can play with the truck again)

I have been thru this stuff before when I tore down and rebuilt my 71 ElCamino except that has a lot less room and the suspension work on that was a real bitch.

Now that I have done this lift, I could probably knock out another one in half the time (maybe) cuz I know what im doing now. Learning on your own is what takes some time. For the most part, now that im rested and its a bright sunny morning, truck looks pretty good. I will get the brakelines and install the shocks hopefully today or tomorrow.

Thanks for listening!
    BTW, any thoughts on the shock bushings??

14. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

So what you are saying is you like rivits and would use them again /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

when you do the front if you have a standard tranny (w/ man clutch) you will have to put the drivers side a little cockeyed.

neverind--just read your profile---you will be ok

15. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Nothing comes apart the way you want, there are always parts you need that you don't have, and everything takes a LOT longer than you imagined it would. By the end of the project, your hands are bruised, and sore...you've got enough grease on your clothes that you can't in-good-conscience even put them in the washer for fear of contaminating it.....etc.

The payoff.....(and REALLY this is the essence of "Built Not Bought" to me) is when you step back at the end and look at what you've accomplished. It changes you forever. You don't see your truck the same way anymore....you start to see all the "parts" individually now, those new additions are a very personal part of you, because they represent struggle, and effort....and ultimately success.

It's a feeling you can NEVER get, by simply walking onto the showroom floor and "picking out" a vehicle, and writing the check.
    Congrats! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    I couldnt agree more /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Greg, you described exactly how I looked (covered in grease) and how I feel now after its all done, exactly as you described.

16. 88Silverado

While putting up the stupid xmas lights (Im starting to think rivets are easier than placing lights on the 2nd story roof /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif) I had several chances to look at the Blazer. Got a really warm feeling knowing I did the job. I jumpped in-n-out of it about 10 times thru the day, shook it back and fourth and jumpped up and down on the bumpers. My wife only shook her head and said I was weird and needed /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Now my new 33's look too small /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Looked at the pinion angle (visually)
    The pinion is tilted upward almost in a straight line with the driveshaft. Nowhere near the same angle as the u-joint coming off the xfer case. Is this going to be a problem?? Dont tell me. Drop the case, right? Im sure thats easy too huh /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Im really hoping to get the ford towers and shocks installed tomorrow and the rears too (if I can figure out the bushing/bolt) issue and see how it drives. Next week I'll try to install the extended lines, new calipers and Performance Friction Z-rated pads. (Run these on my 71 Elky. Work well when hot)

Ciao /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Don't forget to retorque everything a COUPLE times after some use....

18. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Don't forget to retorque everything a COUPLE times after some use....

[/ QUOTE ]
    Couldnt give better advice. The first time I re-torqued my boltsall of the u bolts were really really loose. I am surprised the axle didnt fall off. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Anyways, re torque them after about a week, along with all of the other bolts, and then re torque them about 2 more times.
    -Harrison