Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift Flex?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TOOLMAN125, Mar 9, 2003.

1. TOOLMAN125

TOOLMAN125 Registered Member

I have a 77 Chevy k10 stepside Dana44/14bff. I just got some tsl 38x15.5 15. i am looking at doing a 10" Superlift kit but i am worried about loosing my flex. Any suggestions on how to keep max flex and get the lift i am looking for? Open to ideas!

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Use ORD 4" Shackle Flip in rear. 3" body lift with 6" springs in front and 2" springs in rear, and ORD Zero Rates on all 4 corners. That will still give you you're 10" of lift. For springs use BDS, Tough Country, ... something flexy.

3. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Why go that high? Just bust out the sawzall? /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

stepside

5. XJOSHX

XJOSHX Registered Member

Echobit sells a ford f150 shackle flip that gives you 5 and 3 quarter inch lift. take that and some 4" F150 springs that are soft and you will have some awsome flex. if it sits lower than the front (9 and 3/4th inches) you can throw some zero rate ORD add a leafs. That seems like a good rear set up for the big lift guys. I am not to sure about the front though /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. XJOSHX

XJOSHX Registered Member

Or you can do 2 inch springs with the echobit kit and get a body lift but I try to stay away from body lifts. I guess when you are going that big you might need one though

7. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Generally speaking the higher the arch the more spring rate you need to keep the lift and the faster said springs could wear out go with smaller lift springs and the body lift if you are looking for a big truck or cut the fenders thats what I did on my blazer and I just mounted a 38x15.5x15 swamper radial on a rim to look and with just a bit more trimming I could have ran them on the street. I am probably only going to lift it about 5" (all custom lift useing Dodge leaf springs) I will have plenty of clearance with just that. If you want advice on trimming the fenders pm me later /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

very similar to my set up, 2.5 skyjackers and echo bit shackle flip in rear, then 6 inch bds in front plus a 3 inch bod lift, I really like it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I have 38 inch tsl's too.

9. XJOSHX

XJOSHX Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    very similar to my set up, 2.5 skyjackers and echo bit shackle flip in rear, then 6 inch bds in front plus a 3 inch bod lift, I really like it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I have 38 inch tsl's too.

[/ QUOTE ]
    How well does this set up work for you and what do you think of the echobit products? Good quality? I might be choosing echobit over ORD because of the ford springs which give more flex. Plus the ease of the install

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

10" of lift to fit 38s... what is this a jeep?! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

39.5s fit on my rig with 5" of susp lift and 1" of body lift plus some fender trimming. The beauty of having a full size chevy is that you can run big meats with not-to-much lift... take advantage! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

j

11. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

To all you guys that have the flexy lifts, do you have to worry a whole lot about axle wrap? I am very interested in using a flexy lift but I don't just do one kind of wheeling, I like to hit the odd mud pit here and there. I just don't want to wreck my truck when I do.

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If you're worried about axle warp, DO NOT USE BLOCKS.

13. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

so if I kept the lift - spring under, didn't use any blocks but went with flexy springs I should be ok for the occasional mud holes? I'd rather not spend a wad on anti-wrap bars if I don't have to

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

To be honest, I don't know. Hopefully someone can answer that better then I can.

15. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Depends what kind of gearing/powerplant you're running. I think an antiwrap bar may be a good idea if you've got some serious meats and power.

16. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

6.2L with banks turbo kit, 4.56 gears, 38" swampers. this is the set-up that I am going to use. And I want to have good flex, but not worry too much about wrap. and like I said if I don't have to spend the cash on anti-wrap bars, thats money for another locker /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Leave your shocks in their stock locations on the rear one in front of the axle and one behind this will help with wrap I have heard that the ford springs wrap real bad Any truck has a little axle wrap but mud if its real mud is slick enough you should be fine /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. Panther212

Panther212 Registered Member

I've heard a ton of talk of axle wrap but no definition anywhere... I was wondering if someone could take a minute to explain it to me... thanks /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

19. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[​IMG]
    The rotation under torque on your springs.
    look here

20. XtrmChevy

XtrmChevy 1/2 ton status

When I went crossover the draglink was left over and...
    [​IMG]
    With my gearing and 42s I had very bad axlewrap /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif