Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift For 35x14x15 SS's

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by clubba68, Oct 1, 2003.

1. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Lift For 35x14x15 SS\'s

I am going to put my 35x14x15 SuperSwampers on the first gen. I have 4" Rancho (stiff as hell) on there right now, but I am switching over to the TC EZ Rides. Just wondering in you guys' opinion what lift I should go with 4" or 6".
    Am I going to have to do any drivshaft mods with the 6" TC lift? Want to do pretty minimal fender trimming, but it is also my Daily Driver, and it needs to keep some of its driving integrity. The thing is already enough to handle with 4" and 33's so I would like to keep it as low as possible, but is 4" just too low for those tires?
    Thanks,
    Andrew
    BTW - I am switching lifts to the TC EZ Rides no matter what. Also I think I am going springs all around and no shackle flip in the rear. I would like to have same matching springs front and rear instead of shackle flip. Does that really even matter? Let me know what you think. Any pictures of your rigs would be great too.
    I need to have it stable enough to tow a 2000lb boat 200 miles. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Re: Lift For 35x14x15 SS\'s

I'd go 6" springs all the way around.
    driveshaft in the front will be close but by adding your 14ff in the rear with a deeper pinion it may get the shaft in the right spot.

I think with a 4" and a tire that is that wide, you'd have to do some very creative cutting. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

And cutting is what I would like to avoid?
    Any more input from anyone?
    Jeremy,
    Do you just follow me around and post replies to all my posts? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif It seems like you are always the one replying to them. Not that that is a bad thing. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

I'm gonna agree that you should go 6" with that wide of tire. I really don't think you going to see much of a handling difference between a 6" and 4" lift.

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

just trying to help a brother out,LMAO

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I would sugest a narrower tire. A 14.5" tire would rub too much in the front while steering.

Take a look at my webshots. I am running 4" Ranchos in front and almost as much in the rear (4" flip and sagging springs). I am running 36x12.5(actually 13.5" wide) TSL's. I could not turn into my driveway without trimming (the "fang" was rubbing). I moved the rear axle back 1" and trimmed the front up to the support rod. I wouldn't consider what I did in the rear minor trimming but in the front loosing the "fang" isn't as much of a consern (if you have a bumper made to fit the truck it will look even better). I haven't cut off all of the fang yet...just got lazy and cut only what was in the way.

My sugestion:
    35x12.5 tires
    4" leaves all around
    1" zero-rates in the rear (to give more lift and relocate the axle). It still might sit low in the rear with the top on but I don't like the stink-bug look. You could always go with 6" springs and drill another hole in your spring perch to move the axle back.

7. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Do you guys know if there is any difference in spring rate between the 4&6" lift?
    6" would probably be better when you factor in settling of the suspension and all of the weight that I will have on that beast w/ bumpers, winch, and me. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    -Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif
    Keep coming with the suggestions though. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

Goto www.tuffcountry.com I don't think there's a difference in ez ride spring rates.

9. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

Im runnning 36/14.50 with 6in of lift and a 3 body I thinkn the body lift was an over kill and I didnt need it mabe a 1in wouldnt have been bad to give clerence for my futre planns for a dubbler but other then that I ddint needit and I havent cut any thing. Im going to remove it this winter. and I dont think i will have any clearence problems. DO you have a shakle flip on your truck now ? Im looking for one for a project if you do and want to get rid of it let me know.
    Earl

10. Tuff

Tuff Registered Member

I'm running 36-14.5 parnelli jones with a 4" BDS lift+ 1" body lift+ 1"Zero rate in the rear. I get a little rubbing off road, but I also don't flex it quite like everyone else. You can see it in the webshots.

11. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I'm running 4" lift with 35's and as soon as I get time the 6" lift is going on...
    remember our front leaf springs are stiff cause we don't have anti-sway bars on the front... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

I'm running 6" with 35 x12.5's. I haven't had any rubbing but the fangs are cut and I haven't done any serious off roading. My first K5 had a 4" with 35x12.5 but I only drove it on the street. If your going with the 14.5's you may need to do some trimming. Wheel off-set is going to be a factor too.

13. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

do you have a close up of the fang cutting/

69k5

14. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

Here is mine with 12.5 wide tires on 10" wide wheels. I have about 6" of suspension in the rear and 5" in the front. With a 1" ORD body lift and new body mounts. I ran these same tires/wheels with 4" front and rear and never had A huge rubbing issue, although at times I did rub a small amount. I only recently cut the front fenders, in anticipation of some softer front springs and larger tires....