Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lift for '72 blazer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by '72brett, Jan 12, 2004.

1. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

lift for \'72 blazer

ok, started on removing parts from a '76 blazer to make a lift for my '72 I am hoping for a 2-4" lift. My plan has changed several times after removing part and comparing to to the '72 parts. My plan is to take the front hanger of the rear suspension from the '76 and put it in place of the rear hanger of the rear suspension of the '72. I'm not sure which shackle I will use yet. I think this is what is refered to as a "shackle flip" but, I have no way of knowing what a shackle flip really is. I did the search key to find it, but all I come up with is seeing modified hangars from companies like ORD. mine isn't from anyone... just a hangar from the '76. Also, reversing the position where it is located. Once I get that done, I will see how much lift I achieved, and then in the front, I am adding 1 or 2 more leaf springs... and then designing my own rear shackle for the front suspension. depending on how much height I need will decide how long my shackle needs to be... if I need 2 more inches.. I'll make a 4" longer shackle... this is my thinking and plan of action. so far its the best I have. If anyone knows of an easier way, or if this WONT work, I need to know. I am planning on tearing into it next week. thx guys!

2. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

Re: lift for \'72 blazer

I don't know what the 76 shackle looks like but I doubt it will work for what you want to do. A Shackle flip has nothing to do with the Shackle hanger. The only reason these are change is to allow the shackle its self to flip. In stock form the rear leaf spring eye is suspended abouve the shackle eye for the hanger. When you do a shackle flip you are only trying to accomplish moving the rear leaf spring eye below the eye in the hanger. I beleive you retain the same length shackle but when you do this you do want to move the hanger eye about 1 inch (I think to the rear) to allow for proper shackle angle.

As far as using the front springs. This is a horible idea. If you use spring of of a second gen then you need to relocate the front hanger to acomidate for the extra length. You dont want to recurve the longer spring because you will make for a stiff ride and no flex. You also dont want to add leafs for the same reason.Making longer shackles is the worst of all your design as it will make for a vere unstable vehicle. You might be able to get away with about 2 inches but this would throw your shacle angle off and you would need to move the top eye to accomidate this. Even doing this I wouldnt drive it on the highway.

Your best bet is to get some 4" springs. I plan on using second gen because I want to move my front axle forward. Then Either fab your own or get a ORD shacle flip.

3. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

I'm on a low/no budget. I will look into it again. I am pretty sure teh rear setup will work, I talked to a friend at school who has been doing lifts for the past few years, and said my idea will work. for the front, he didnt think so either. I haven't really looked at the front hanger much... I will do that Thursday, as I have the day off after school. This means I can't afford to buy a set of 4" springs. I should be bale to fab my own front hanger if need be. About the part about adding another leaf or two to the front. My friend said that is what he does the most. It makes for a very stiff ride, but it does the job. So, now I plan on leaving the rear shackle alone, and just extending my front hanger about 4" and then adding another leaf to the springs. Anymore input from anyone about either of these two plans would be greatly appreciated! Thx guys!

-Brett

4. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

I think thier are a few guys here who have used the front spring mount to do a shackle flip I cant think of who it was gut the post i think was one of the echobit posts

5. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

Ok, I told this information to dad, and what we discussed is removing another front hanger from a rear suspension and using that in place of the original front hanger of the front suspension. The rear hanger is MUCH longet than the front hanger and I think it should work. BUT... I have been told by people around here that putting blocks in the front is NOT a good idea. I really don't know why, and dad wants to try it. I'm not really in the mood to find out the hard way on why it wont work. Can someone please tell me why its not a good idea, or is it just a myth. Keep in mind that from this lift, I do not need any extra flex or looking for a better ride. All I am after is clearance for 33" tires, and little extra. Once again, thanks!

-Brett

6. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

It possible the the blocks can come loose from the striagh of turnning the tires and you dont wan tthat to happen while going down the road I wouldnt do it much to dangeres for you and every one else on the road.

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

You can't use that front hanger from the rear of the 76. 2nd Gen's have rear hangers that are spaced farther from the frame than 1st gens do. The cheep and easy way to do it is to just cut out a hole in the bottom of the shackle hanger and reinforce the top. That would get you 4" in the rear.

I wouldn't want to drive a truck (or even be near one driving) that has any of the front suspensions you mention!

The main issue with most of them is the change in caster. If you want cheep and still driveable you could look into using the 52" rear springs from the 76 with moved shackle and front hanger. If you don't want to do that much work I bet having the 76 front springs re-arched by a spring shop would make them bolt into your stock mounts. If you don't like any of those ideas whatever you do don't move just one end of the spring 4" to gain 2" of lift. If you lower the front hanger 2" and make 2" longer shackles you will have 2" of lift (more if you tossed in some more leaves making the springs stiffer than they already are which is too much) you could get it up to 4" safely. You could also look around for some used front springs. I have my old rancho front 4" springs that I wouldn't mind selling for $20 but shipping would be stupid. Someone local might have a set for you.

8. Stroked72Blazer

of all you want to do is clear tires then get a sawsall I promise your truck will look alot better with cut fenders than with the caved in roof you'll have if you mod the front suspension any of the ways mentioned.

9. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

uhhh, I plan on no sawing too. I like the idea of dropping the front hanger and extending the rear shackel a little. I think I will add some springs too. Don't think I will get any re-arched tho. well, thx for the help people, I am going to bed, and I will once again look at the underside of my blazer (its so beautiful) and see what ways I can screw it up! Goodnight, and thx again for the help. Its safer this way /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Stroked72Blazer

just thought of another idea that might work. What would be involved in custom fabbing a body lift. I've done a body mount swap but never a lift. Based on the poly swap fabbing up a 2" lift would be a peice of cake. How far off am I?