Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift for Chevy with Cummins

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K30CJ, Jul 17, 2003.

1. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

I'm looking at buying a '79 K30 crew cab SRW with a Cummins conversion. I would want to lift it from it's lowly stock stance. Can't go too high, because it'll be pulling my gooseneck trailer. I'm thinking 4". My question is about the weight of the Cummins. It's about 1000-1100 lbs., where the 454 weighs about 650 to 700 lbs.? Any ideas of what might be available to handle the extra weight? I was impressed with the Skyjacker system I put on a previous K20, and I've heard good things about BDS. TIA /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Get some custom Alcan's made. 280 a piece and there made to your exact vehicle /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I'll check them out. Nice crew cab, BTW. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Thats so funny as i drive by Alcan every day twice a day to and from work...there on scarlet...just down the srteet from our shop....

DW /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

Anyone on this site have a Chevy with a Cummins transplant? Pics?

6. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thats what my plan was... But after over a year of talking with the DMV, CARB, Smog Refs, etc it doesn't look like it's gonna happen /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

8. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Think you have go just get a different vin. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Get a vin from a 3/4 ton truck, I think they are smog exempt. Its not totally legal, but its not totally illegal either. Since you've already swapped in 1 ton axles, 1 ton brakes, 1 ton everything else, your over 50% 1 ton, which means, you are technically legal as almost being that you swapped your blazer onto a 1 ton frame, and thereby using the 1 ton's vin.

9. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

Well I bought the crew cab. Now deciding on the lift, tires and wheels. Also need to find interior parts. Body and mechanical are all good, but the inside is shot. Then tap some more power from the CTD. Pulls really well as is though. Is there ever "enough" power? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

10. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

Cummins 5.9s are some power buildin bastiges...12v or 24v?...either way theres a lot more power to be had just by free or cheap mods...lots of cummins dodge sites around...pics!!!

11. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

Cummins is no doubt the way to go. It's a 12 valve. This is my second. The last one was turned up pretty strong. This one will be soon. Towing power to spare and good mpg. Mine is my daily driver, and I tow my Jeep, camper, and everything else it seems, so I need both power and mpg in the same package. Here's a pic of the truck. It's getting a lift, tires and wheels soon. /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

Picture

12. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Cummins is no doubt the way to go. It's a 12 valve. This is my second. The last one was turned up pretty strong. This one will be soon. Towing power to spare and good mpg. Mine is my daily driver, and I tow my Jeep, camper, and everything else it seems, so I need both power and mpg in the same package. Here's a pic of the truck. It's getting a lift, tires and wheels soon. /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

Picture

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you get pictures of the engine in the engine bay. I would love to put one into my 86 Dually. Is it intercooled?

13. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

I don't have any underhood pics yet, but I'll try to remember to post some. Basically, there's room for air conditioning OR intercooler, but not both. This one has AC, which is nice today. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif