Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift Height Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mudweiser79, Dec 10, 2000.

1. Mudweiser79

Mudweiser79 Registered Member

I would appreciate any info on how high I can lift my 79 K5 without a terrible amount of modification. I currently have a 6" lift, and would like to upgrade to an 8".

2. Hobbes68

Hobbes68 Registered Member

A "terrible amount of modification" depends on what you consider terrible. Everything's relative. To someone with no lift or a 2" lift I'm sure your 6" truck has a terrible amount of modification -- assuming you had to lengthen driveshafts, lower T case, extend brake lines & cables, modify linkages, replace shocks, springs, etc... The sky's the limit if you have the patience and expertise! I don't see any reason why you couldn't go another 2 inches. Do you want to go suspension or just add a body lift? What do you have now? If you currently have a 6" suspension lift, I'd say a 2 inch body lift would be fairly easy. If, however, you already have some combination of body & susp lift, the only safe way to do it is to go for a taller susp. lift which means lengthening driveshafts, possibly adding CV joints, adjusting pinion angles (more than they are), lengthening brake lines & cables, modifying linkages, replacing shocks and springs, etc... Will be costly... You should also consider the intended usage of the truck. Do you use it primarly off road? Or is it your daily driver you take on the highway every day? The higher you lift, the higher the center of gravity goes. This will make the truck more susceptible to rolling over. Also, do you every park in any garages? Where I live, there are some shopping malls that I can't fit into their parking garages because my truck is too high (6'10"). I'm sure your truck is already higher than mine. I hope this gave you some food for thought. Whatever you do, carefully consider all of the ramifications of you actions! Good luck!

3. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

If your just looking for suspension travel just break out the sawzall and go at your fenders. If your truck just isnt as tall as you would like then go with what Hobbes said.