Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift Idea - May be silly

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hardcore, May 30, 2003.

1. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

I was flipping through my LMC Catalog last night and noticed that on the front end of 4x4 K5's the leaf spring mount bolts on. I was thinking, why no machine a 1" thick plate and stick it between it. This would provide 1/2" of lift and help pinion angle. Or you could use 1" longer shackles and get 1" of lift.

Anybody do this, any negatives? I'm looking at getting the ORD 1/2" longer shackles and thought a 1" spacer in the front would be better than shims.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Sounds a whole lot like this:

ORD Zero Rate

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

You're talking about putting something between the spring pack and the axle. I think he's suggesting lower the front spring hanger.

4. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

I'm talking about between the front spring mount and the frame. I know that some guys lower the hanger for the rear axle. I was thinking that since the front hanger bolts in you could put in a spacer.

Corey

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

As long as you make it sturdy, I don't see why not.
    Don't go overboard with the shackle length on the rear of the front spring, though.
    -- Mike

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The front leaf spring mount is held on with 6 rivets. 2 go into the frame, 2 go into the body mount, and 2 go into a reinforcing bracket. It looks like you could drill out the rivets,insert some type of filler in there to lower the bracket a bit, and bolt it back together. But if you play in the rocks you'll find that the front spring hanger already is sometimes the first thing to make contact, so lowering it will mean it gets beat more frequently. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

as far as i know, the LMC cataloug shows the replacement bolts. all the K5's i have looked at, and trucks and burbans for that fact have been rivited on. unless replaced for prior reasons. i am still pondering the idea of swapping sides on my front hangers for the front springs. this would make it so i could run 52'' springs up front. but those rivets are a pain. got a few removed then decided not to. i might do it anyway.
    i could always put it back.
    grant

8. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Yeah If you braced it, so it wouldnt be weak. Since its already pretty weak there, I am actually planning to take mine off altogether, get some new ones and drop them down and heavily reinforced them, that way it wont flex around and will point my pinion up. Well see how it goes.

9. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The front leaf spring mount is held on with 6 rivets. 2 go into the frame, 2 go into the body mount, and 2 go into a reinforcing bracket. It looks like you could drill out the rivets,insert some type of filler in there to lower the bracket a bit, and bolt it back together. But if you play in the rocks you'll find that the front spring hanger already is sometimes the first thing to make contact, so lowering it will mean it gets beat more frequently. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Harry,
    you are right about hitting the bracket, but this is kind of a different way of thinking of it. he wouldnt be lowering the bracket. he would be lifting the frame off the bracket. so clearance remainst the same in the aspect of hitting the front hangers on rocks.
    just another view to see it in i guess.
    Grant

10. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I sort of did that. I used a 2x3 heavy walled box tubing and some 1/4 plates and welded it together. It's bolted to the frame. The stock brackets are not even across the bottom so making spacers might be difficult. This, combined with the longer shackles added 2" of lift. I just put 52" springs in front.

11. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

***HIJACK*** [ QUOTE ]
    I just put 52" springs in front.

[/ QUOTE ] Any pics? Did you use the stock rear pack or did you modify it in any way? Is the ride too soft (I calculated my 52'' spring rate to be somewhere between 230-260 in/lbs... brakedive/ body roll out the goat @$$ in my book /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif)? How long of a shackle did you end up using? What is the total lift that the 52''s yielded? I'm looking for a measurement from the top of the axle tube to the bottom of the frame if you could be so kind /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

12. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Dito /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

13. deek

deek 1/2 ton status

I actually was just thinking about doing that same thing, lowering the front spring mounts off the frame. along with the shakle & a 1" zero rate up front, if you get those front spring mounts lowered befor i do I'd like to know how it turns out

14. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

I'm going to look into it some more. I figure I can do that and a longer shacle and get 8" with 6" springs. I figure anything I can do to get it higher and keep it flexy is good!

Corey /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. K5MONSTERCHEV

If its done correctly, I really cant see anything wrong with it. When I talked to Greg72 about it his only concern was that now the hangers will hang down however much you lower them, which might be in the way for some people.

16. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

Not quite as easy as it seems, my friend did exactly what you are talking about and the problem is that once you get the spring hangers off, it's not a flat surface. If you ever try to do it you will see what I mean. Later
    -fLeXy K20

17. K5MONSTERCHEV

Yes i have already seen it done and thought about it. I know what you mean about the surface not being flat. Its kind of hard to explain how I will do it but ill get some pics when it does happen.