Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift ideas ???

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by 69K5, Nov 29, 2001.

1. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

I have a 69 K5 that is stock. I was thinking about doing a shackle flip on the rear and 4 inch springs on the front. i have a Dana 44 in the front and a 10 bolt in the back. would this level out and look right??? I would also be replacing the rear springs with new stock ones. If it will work what knid of problems would i have with drivshafts, brakelines, and ect. ? I was considering trying this to save money. versus buying a full lift kit.any help would be gretaly appreciated. thanks to everyone who helped with all my other thousand questions i've posted.
    Nathan

69 K5 stock wantin to go higher, but gettin pushed towards earth by the wife, college, and budget.

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Nathan,

The shackle flip (Rear) and new 4" Springs is actually the BEST way to lift it! ....Most expensive too, sorry!

You will have to change your rear brake lines (longer) and probably e-brake cables too (I'm not sure which ones...I think you just get them from a different vehicle that had longer ones) The angle of your rear diff pinion will need to be checked (usually you can shim it's nose up) and the driveshaft may or may-not need to be lengthened...(there is no hard and fast rule on that one)

For a cheaper lift, you could just use a 4" lift block in the back. This has the "shim" built-in to rotate your pinion automatically. Then you could spend the extra money getting the new brake lines and e-brake figured out. Up front the only choice is to get a new 4" spring....there's no other "safe" way to get lift there.....Oh yes, and new brake lines up front too!!! Possibly a dropped pitman arm for your steering box to help correct steering geometry problems once you lift it.

I'll be swapping out my rear 4" blocks in the next week or so for the ORD shackle flip. If you are interested in just collecting parts slowly and doing the lift "piece meal" I could let you have them cheap! [​IMG]

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Greg's pretty much got it nailed, the most economical way to start is with a block in the rear, then go to the flip down the road, there are a lot of other details that need to be sorted as you go that add up quick.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

4. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

Greg 72,

Wouldnt you know that I would pick the most expensive way. Could I flip the original bracket over. I was lookin at it and it, and it looks like I could. It has rivets, but I have a drill and some bolts that could cure that problem. I would still be intrested in the blocks. I'll have to wait until after christmas though or my wife will kill me. If you get an offer for them before christmas dont pass it up on my account.

One more question. I was lookin at your pics and saw youre speaker boxes. I was thinkin of mountin speakers in my side panels. what do you think? I mounted my stereo in my center console.Thanks again for the help.
    Nathan

So many projects, so little time.

5. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

Stephen
    I'll ask you the same as I did greg about flipping the original mount. I can do it , but is it a bad idea? I'll probably follow his advice as I know the little cost you spoke of add up fast. The little cost are what get me in trouble with the wife. Not the projects. Flippin the stock might get me by until I have the extra cash for ya'lls greasables shackles. A friend of mine said blocks are bad. I've never seen anyone here have problems. Is that just an old wives tale? My last question is there a way to find springs at junkyard that will fit my blazer. All the junkyards where I live only go back like 10 years. no bone yards. thanks for all the help

Nathan

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

69K5,

Don't worry about those blocks.....I'm not in a rush, they'll be here when you're ready! [​IMG]

Generally, blocks are considered and inferior solution for lift because there is always a chance that they could work loose and fall out....also even if you keep them tight, you will experience more "axle wrap" with a block lift than with a taller spring and/or shackle-flip. It is somewhat relative though....I've never been bothered by it....or even noticed it in my truck.

I think someone on this list posted a Do-It-Yourself shackle flip....maybe in the "Technical Articles" section....check around and you can find it.

As far as the stereo stuff....I don't know when you looked at my web photos, but I spent a lot of time yesterday adding photos and captions to that link. Click on the .sig below to see the latest.....there are LOTS of pics of the subwoofer cabinets and YES they are mounted in the rear quarterpanels.....it's possible to do it, but it takes some effort! [​IMG]

I have already had a number of people ask me to sell those cabinets or to build another set for their K5....as much as I'd like to keep "stereo work" as a part-time hobby, I may have to consider doing a small production run of those cabinets.....it would be some nice extra money to buy K5 goodies with!!! [​IMG]

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

7. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I'll have to to along with Greg here, the blocks are OK for some guys, but if you want to use the truck offroad, I think it's a matter of time before you want to get rid of them. As a temporary solution, they're fine.
    You can't flip the bracket over and get a lift out of it, at least not 4".

you should be able to use springs from a later model K5 or 1/2T, so you may be able to find some in the yards.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

8. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

stephen
    thanks for the help. i decided against flippin the stock shackle.. just gonna have to save up and send ya'll some money.thanks again
    nathan