Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift install help.........

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ftn96, Nov 30, 2000.

1. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Started putting on my SKyjacker 4" last night. As I put the new leafs on the front I noticed that they are about 1/4 of and inch narrower than the originals. Is this going to cause me some problems?? And the damn steering arm. That some bisquit does NOT want to come off.

Don't you buy no ugly truck!

2. JST12

JST12 1/2 ton status

As long as the bushings are the right width to fit snuggly in the front hangers, and the rear shackle sides are parallel, there should be no problems. The spring center bolts will prevent any side to side play in the axle. Just torque the u-bolts to the proper spec.
    My stupid steering arm will not budge either. I have whacked the pejezis out of it with a 5 pound sledge, downward on the arm, sideways, upways. Next I'm going to try the air chisel under it. I'll let you know.
    JT

3. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I thought about getting an air chisel for that very same purpose. Im going to borrow my neighbors torch tonight and heat the shnikiees out of it and then proceed to beat the hell out of it.

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Get a big sledge and then beat on that steering arm hard at a few different angles and then it should come off. This method is best when the axle is laying on the floor and off the vehicle.
    You can also try and get a ball joint seperater and hammer the seperaterinto the cones on the top of the arm(looks like a washer when you are looking at the top). Then when you get the seperater wedge into the cone, try and pry up on the cone. this works best when you heat the arem pretty well!

HTH

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

5. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Thanks Emmett. I was just sitting here thinking of prying up on the washer somehow or another. That sounds like a good idea. Is there any special instructions for the spanner nut adjustment sleeve thing-a-ma-bob on the upper ball joint. I know it supposed to be torqued to like 70 lbs or something like that. But is that it?

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

You're talking about the nut inside the knuckle for the ball joint? It is sort of like a sleeve with grooves in the top? I have never touched those. Sorry, cant help ya there.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

7. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Yep that what Im talking about. It came with the new ball-joints. It looks like you'd have to remove it to get the ball-joint out. At least from a quick glance anyway.