Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift install ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cochino12, Jun 14, 2004.

1. cochino12

cochino12 1/2 ton status

ok so here is a dumb question. When installing a lift do you use a bumper jack to support the body when removing the leafs? How is this done? I know its a stupid ?, I'm used to lowering things not lifting so thanks for help

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I used an engine hoist, attached it to the bumper and lifted the whole rear of the truck

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I lifted the front by the axle then used my tallest jack stands then took the tires off, when it drops back down you should have plunty of room for the swap, when your done, put the jack back under the axle lift it up, toss on the ubolts and keep lifting the axle to get the tire back on.

[​IMG]

same with the rear, I sat mine on the reese hitch, because its lower then the frame and it was in the way of getting to the frame
    [​IMG]

4. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I used an engine hoist, attached it to the bumper and lifted the whole rear of the truck

[/ QUOTE ]

thats how I'm going to do the project trucks lift... the silver truck I took awhile doing to the lift... the project truck I'm planning on doing the front in a day and the rear in a day... plus I'm not worried about messing up those bumpers /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

5. big pappa b

Oh yeah..VERY IMPORTANT:
    DO NOT use a Hi-lift jack and try to change them on the street side. Uneven pavement and lifting heavy trucks dont go well together
    ask me how I knw this...nevermind, dont ask /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

6. 78GMC1/2TON4x4

78GMC1/2TON4x4 1/2 ton status

ya when a high jack slips off you dont wanna be in its path...been there done that.....*ouch* /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ya when a high jack slips off you dont wanna be in its path...been there done that.....*ouch* /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

There was a hole in a old camper we used to have from a high lift jack /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif it was about 4 inches deep /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. big pappa b

The Hilift didnt slip. The truck was at a slight lean sitting on the street. I had both spring loose from the rear shackles. Fortunately I was sitting just outside the drivers side side when it fell away from me. The whole body shifted about a foot right. Kinda surprised the springs didnt shoot thru the rear bed floor. I'm thinking it would have really hurt if I was under there.

ALWAYS PRACTICE SAFE JACKING.....YOU PERVS /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

I lifted the front by the axle then used my tallest jack stands then took the tires off, when it drops back down you should have plunty of room for the swap, when your done, put the jack back under the axle lift it up, toss on the ubolts and keep lifting the axle to get the tire back on.

[/ QUOTE ] same here and it worked like a charm but you have to have jack stands tall enough