Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift is in Rear seems too far foward?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jughead, Aug 12, 2006.

1. jughead

jughead Registered Member

Just installed ORD shackle-flip with rear springs which PO said was 6 inch lift....Question is that now that it is in the rear seems too far foward. Is there a way to get it back more? I have 35s on it right now and want to go to 38s but the way it looks I will be very close to the fender. And I do not want to cut them.

2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Anyway to post photos? :wink1:

3. jughead

I will try to get some today....Need to go back over to my buddies house after some yard work

4. mtnman

mtnman Scrap metal fabricator Premium Member

ORD zero rates - move axle back 1 1/2 inch

5. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

It is just something that happens when you drop the reare of the spring and not the front. The front is a fixed point so as you move the rear down it also moves forward slightly causing the tire to move forward in the wheel well. Zero rates or a different set of springs with a new center pin location is the only way to fix or you can move your mounts.

Ira

6. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

ya what sandawg said, and you need to remember as the spring compresses it'll move back so it may not acctually hit. i trimmed teh back of my wheelwells and moved the axle back and the tires (38's) look like they would hit but they dont.

7. jughead

Thanks....I think I am going to wait until I get the front lift in and see how she sits (if she is level) then figure out the back...I do not want to add any more height to the back by using the zero rates.....cause the front is only getting 6 inch springs with the 1 inch zero rate...

8. jughead

I was wondering if I took the shackle flip and put the on the opposite sides of the truck then what they were meant to go on. As they sit now they angle forward which pushes the rear forward due too pushing the leaf springs foward. If I change them the other side of the truck where the angle now goes towards the back this should pull the rear back. What do you think?

9. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The bracket direction is not pushing the springs forward. It is the fact that the front is stationary and you rotate the rear of the spring down that causes the axle to move forward. If you switch the brackets around you will do nothing but cause the shackle to be too far to the rear and therefore will not be able to drive your rig without collapsing said shackle against the bracket. The only reason to swap sides is to run 56s or longer springs. Think about it. You did not change the mounting position of the front of the spring so how can it possible move forward with a position of the bracket for the rear of the spring.

Ira