Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift it up or sell it?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by diamondjimtwo, Apr 6, 2007.

1. diamondjimtwo

diamondjimtwo Registered Member

I have a '91 GMC K5 with only 54k on it. Vehicle is in great shape inside and out, fully loaded. I am looking to install a 4" or 6" lift. Which brand do you guys recommend? I have shopped around and prices are all over the place. I'm just looking for some insight. Can I do this for less than $1500? If not, it's going down the road.

Thanks in advance everyone!

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

You should be able to do it for well under $1500. Do you wnat new tires for that price too?

$500 buys you an all spring lift, new front/rear springs and associated hardware, drop pitman arm, etc.

You could do new front springs and a shackle flip out back for about that price too.

$1500 you could do crossover as well as a lift.

3. diamondjimtwo

Crossover?

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Just sell it....

5. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

if you are worried that you will spend too much to lift it, you should sell it. $1500 is a drop in the bucket when it comes to the modifications required to do a lift right and safely. once you put bigger tires on you should regear. that alone will run you $1500 in my area if you have a shop do it.

You found the right site to sell it on though.

6. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Send it on down the road

7. THISISWEIRD

THISISWEIRD 1/2 ton status

Why do you all say send it on down the road? I thought a lift kit was only around $700 including new springs and such. Does he have to re-gear?

Besides the stuff including in a lift kit, what else does he have to do?

Thanks.

8. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I think the point that is trying to be made, is that if you can't see spending 1500.00 to modify your truck, you should quit while you are ahead and not get into the hobby.

to answer your question::::: Go to www.offroaddesign.com and order the 4" TC hd springs for the front, order a 2.5" shackle flip for the rear, also order a set of 4" lift 56" rear springs so that you can put the shackle flip on backwards and get more flex,order a set of zero rates for the front, get the drop pitman arm, get greasable bushings for all the springs

Then::: contact shane74 here or go to his website www.blackwidowperformance.com and get his extended front shackles(because they are sweet looking) and a set of extended brake lines(in the color of your choice)

Now the fun part....

Then be prepared to get bigger tires and wheels and upgrade your axles and regear everything and get more lift and cut your truck up to clear everything so you wheel harder, as you try to remove some of the lift and get crossover and realize you need even bigger tires and now you need hydro assits, then goto www.diy4x.com and get on a first name basis with Kert and buy everything that he makes and then have him make some custom stuff just for you, and because you wheel even harder now you need a cage and now you need bigger tires and axles again and be prepared to remove what is left of your beat up body and tube it out and get rid of the cage you built and transform what is left of your truck into a buggy while going coilover and moving the axles out far enough that you can climb up a 90 degree angle without breaking a sweat and then sell it for 10% of what you have invested..........WHEW!!!!!!!........the life cycle of wheeling in one sentence

9. THISISWEIRD

THISISWEIRD 1/2 ton status

Point taken...

I just bought mine as a fishing/hunting vehicle. But when parts break or I want to do stuff, I'm going to fix it with the best parts available.

I'm looking forward to a long learning process.

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

A couple of the guys live fairly close to the poster:wink1:

It cost me around $1200 to do a complete 4" suspention lift with all needed parts, Including 4 new 33" General AT tires. I did all the labor myself.
    I recomend spending the extra money doing a suspention lift with new rear springs over a cheaper lift kit with rear blocks. Your truck will ride better.
    If you want to keep costs down go with a 4" lift kit. It is pretty much plug and play. And does not require the Mods that a 6" will to do right.
    Check your gearing and hope you have 3.73 gears. Many later model K5 came with 3.73 which wil work good with 33" and be OK for 35" tires but dont go bigger. Axle damage will occur.

11. buefchris

buefchris 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

WOW! talk about scared strait ,,,but your right, much like any hobby things can ad up before you know it.

12. ryoken

Here's the reason, I said to sell it..

I have no need for people who just shuffle vehicles around with no loyalty to them and just look at it as a number.. You just wanna turn a profit, do the used car salesman type thing, knock yourself out, ya just wont get any help from me..

No passion to build the vehicle? Don't waste my time... On a budget fine, I am too... But when your willing to part with your truck at the drop of a hat, well, then you can "go down the road" too...

13. txfiremank5

That's sort of my opinion too, to a degree.

It doesn't sound to me like he's really interested in the K5. So why really bother? There are probably many people in his area who would love to buy it and, would have a real interest in it. May as well sell it one of them. It doesn't sound like there is enough interest from him to keep it, even if it was lifted. Sounds like he'll eventually tire of it lifted or not, and sell it anyway. May as well just save himself the trouble. It would also keep the next owner from having to sort through a bunch of ham-fisted, coners cut lift.

14. diamondjimtwo

You guys are responding exactly how I thought you would. Thanks for the help.

15. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Please explain.

16. ryoken

Booo freakin hoo..

Well, aren't you just the amazing psychic... :rolleyes:

Actually, your amongst the 2% that gets a blast when walking in the door.. This is the most helpful forum online.. Go over to Pirate and enjoy your time there..

If you had come in and said "Can I do a nice suspension for $1500?" You woulda got 30 helpful replies. You just set me off with the whole sell it thing..

Go buy a Heep.... :waytogo:

17. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i don't think he liked the answer.

18. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yeah this place is getting more and more like pirate all the time. Lotsa of fragile egos here.
    I am getting to the point of selling my k5 and buying a real truck like a Toyota. I have no vehicle loyality. I drive what I happen to like at the time.
    Maby I dont belong here either.

BTW DiamondJim. A K5 is about the cheapest truck around to build and modify. Thats why I own one. A lift on a newer IFS truck costs over twice as much as a lift for a K5.

19. txfiremank5

I can't help it if he didn't like my answer. He's the one who asked.

What should I have done? Lie? It's not a fragile ego in my case.. It's my opinion, take it for what it's worth. I don't see a shred of real interest in his first post.. so why bother to mess with a lift if you're not really interested in it or the vehicle? I could also type a fillabuster of a reply on how to lift it etc.. and he could just say, "nah.. I think I'll just sell it". I'm not going to cater to wishy-washy.. if he's truely interested in lifting it like Ryoken said, he would have gotten plenty of advise on how to do so.

20. ryoken

This is a subject I've thought about often and wanted to bring up at some point.. Maybe this guys post just triggered it... I very easily could have ignored the "sell" part of it and churned out the usual "happy, happy" responses of shackle flip, blah, blah...

I'm not talking some stupid brand loyalty or something.. I'm talking about a desire to craft and put some soul into whatever vehicle you choose to build... Not just bounce around from vehicle to vehicle without making one YOUR OWN...

Putting that extra effort on a mod or project to make it special, not just throwing parts at it cuz they're cheap or you NEED to get it jacked up higher than everyone elses truck......

I don't care if it's a Yota or a freakin Yugo, just show some passion about it...