Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift Kit Advice Please

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 8BaLL, Jun 14, 2002.

1. 8BaLL

8BaLL Registered Member

I have had an 85 K5 Blazer sitting around my house for years now. I am just starting to get into the whole blazer craze and I think I am hooked. I am leaning towards a 6inch suspension lift for it. Can you guys tell me everything that I will need for a 6inch lift? I am just kind of wanting to know how much trouble this will be, what all the parts and modifications will be, and the approximate price. Thanks a lot if you guys can help me at all. Also where is a good place to purchase the lift from? Is there a website that I can compare prices? I want a good lift kit but I do not want to spend a fortune on it.

2. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

first off i would go here http://www.offroaddesign.com/ they will have almost everything you will need. you say yer lookin for a 6" lift if so i would go with the their 2" shackle flip and add some 4" spings to it (this is for the rear only), it makes for a much softer ride. up front just use some of their 6" springs. theres lots more you will need such as longer brake lines, raised steering arm, longer shocks, sway bar disconnect (recommended), new bushing. you'll also have lenghten your drive shafts with a 6" lift and drop your t-case or add some degree shims in the rear the correct your drive shaft geometry. If this seems like a lot thats because it is but it's not to hard to do and as far as prices goes expect to pay around $800 to $1500 for parts. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif i hope this help

3. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Do NOT get a procomp or rancho lift. IMO, they ride like hell. I've got a rough country lift...it rides nice, flexes nice, and I can tow with my truck.

Most lift kits come with everything you need. for a 6" lift, you'll need:
    front springs
    rear springs/blocks
    if you get rear blocks, I suggest you get a 0 rate helper spring from ORD to level out the back cause it will sag
    steering arm
    shocks
    extended brake lines (procomp has some nice stainless steal braided lines
    ubolts
    you might need to lower the t-case. I think most of the time when doing a 6" you do. If you get bad vibes when driving it after lifted, then you'll need to lower the t-case. There are kits for that, but some of the guys on here did it with washers or something like that.

I think that's about it /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

4. 8BaLL

8BaLL Registered Member

I am trying to do all of this on my own because I don't really know anyone that has knowledge of lift kits or anything like that. Where I live there aren't a whole lot of big off roaders that i can ask for help from.

5. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

What are you planning on doing with the K5? Muddin, Sand, Rock Crawling, Daily driver, Towing? It would help to know this so you can get the best kit for you truck.

6. 8BaLL

8BaLL Registered Member

It will be my daily driver and I would like to go mudding in it. There wont be any rock climbing or any sandy conditions. It will all be mud. I basically dont know [censored] about lift kits and what not. I am just wanting someone to pretty much tell me every single thing that I need so I can do it. There really arent any people near me that can help so you guys are pretty much my only resource /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Rancho makes two lift kits for 4", one with a softride pair of springs and one with the rough ones that you're referring to.

Both have softer springs and thus will ride better than Rough Country, which is the stiffest, roughest riding suspension kit on the market.

Be careful with the comments you make.

8. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

If you are going muddin', get something a little stiff, articulation hurts you in the mud, for on road, look at skyjacker, I use them in the rear of mine and it rides great. I have Pro-comp springs up front and they are pretty stiff and bouncy, not the most comfortable things around. What size tires are you getting, a 6' lift will clear 37's, as long as you get wider offset wheels, and DON'T FLEX!, great in the mud, not anywhere else. If you want to take it else where run 35's.
    Most companies make nearly complete lift kits, you may run into something interesting and need outside parts though, like a T-case lowering kit, long steering arm, or pitman arm, frame re-inforcement kit at the steering box, longer tranny shift cable, longer speedo cable, pinion angle adjustment shims, cv joint on your driveline, bigger u-joints on your driveline (I recomend this to everybody). Learn from our mistakes and lessons, it will make your job easier.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Articulation hurts you in the mud, huh? I guess I was stupid for buying a shackle flip then. I should have just welded my axles straight to the frame, with some metal in between for lift.

NOT!

Suspension travel and articulation helps EVERYWHERE. More may be required for different types of offroading, but no matter what kind you do, some wheel travel can be beneficial.

10. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I have a Skyjacker Soft Ride System- springs all around, rides the nicest I've riden in. Not bouncy, not hard, just about perfect.

Brandy