Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift Kit brands and spring or blocks?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hoss, Oct 12, 2001.

1. Hoss

Hoss Registered Member

I'm going to be installing a 6 to 8 inch lift kit on a 79 Blazer and have a couple questions...

1) What are your opinions on which brand to get?
    2) Whats the advantages/disadvantages of using lift blocks in the rear VS getting new springs? I'm not worried about the cost difference.
    3) Where can I get drive lines extended (from what I read I'll have to do this with 6 to 8 inch lift). If you have specfic places in mind near Seattle, WA, great! If not, I at least need to find out where to look in the phone book for such a place.

Thanks!
    -C

2. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

If cost isn't a factor, I would go with springs. They may not ride as nice as blocks, but they would be safer. Especially with that much lift.

For brands, I would look at Skyjacker and/or Superlift. Don't have any experience with either, but they are the names I have heard the most for that much lift.

Brake lines, contact 4 Wheel Parts. I don't know if they have a place near you, but, if not, they can ship.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

3. Hoss

Hoss Registered Member

#3 was about the drive lines (I might be using wrong term), not brake lines.

But thanks anyways, I needed to know that too!

-C

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My advice is to go springs. They definitely help control axle wrap (especially when fully loaded and/or towing). They are safer. Two disadvantages are articulation and shimming. Lift springs because of their arch do limit some articulation. Lift blocks generally come with an angle machined in them to correct for lift (but some still have to add shims), and with lift springs some people have to shim the pinion up, but I don't think it's enough to outway the positives. Ask people who have 6-8 springs and 6-8 blocks and see what was needed as far as pinion angle correction. It will give you a better idea of what you are up against. All things being equal, I would personally go for springs.

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot</a>

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I would go w/ 6" springs in front and ORD's shackle flip in the rear w/ either 2" blocks or 2.5" springs. Get the stuff from See it Here

6. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

I always recommend Skyjacker. Mine have been great.

Friends with Superlift are not pleased. Lack of flex and bad shackle angle are some of the problems.

Rough Country lives up to its name in my experience...Rough!

Rear blocks aren't as bad as everyone would have you believe. I have never experienced axlewrap in the rear of my truck

Still Poundin' "pavment" after all these years!!! [​IMG]