Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift Kit for Diesel problem.

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Radek, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Radek

Radek Registered Member

I have a 85 K5 Blazer with a 6.2L which I'm trying to suspension lift 4". I've called BDS suspension and a couple of others manufacturers and they tell me that their lift kit won't work on the Diesel as the engine is so much heavier than a gas version and their replacement front springs just won't work.

So what's a guy to do? Can someone recommend a manufacturer/setup that will work on a Diesel?
    Thanks

2. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

That's BS. What if you have a 454, factory dual batteries and HD cooling? Would weight basically as much as the 6.2 setup. Ask the manufacturers if they have a HD spring for front winch applications, the soft ride versions with tapered leafs may settle but the old stiffer square cut springs should be more than up to the task.

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

contact tuff country, they sell heavy duty spring lifts......

4. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

5. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I'll back the Rough country lift any day. Putting one on my 83 diesel in a month and already seen them installed. I like the ride and it holds up great to the diesel! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

6. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

Rough Country or Hecklethorn in Dyersburg, Tn is a great place to buy. I have a 6" lift on my '83 k5. No problems at all. They told me it might settle a bit, but I haven't seen the settle on the springs as of today and it's been on for a month. Good Prices also.

Phillip TK5

7. KRUM

KRUM 1/2 ton status

is the 4 inch you have an easy ride or heavy duty?
    how long have you had it on the vehicle

thanks,
    KRUM

8. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

It is rough countrys standard lift, I have had it on for almost 6-7 months, Have noticed no sag, and it ride fairly smooth, like a truck sould. If I had to do it it agian I would buy the same lift.

9. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I recently installed a 4'' Tuff country HD lift on a K10 with a 6.2. It has no problems supporting the added weight, and they seem to ride better than my 6'' EZ-rides on the K5 (TBI 350). We also installed 12 1/4'' travel RSX's, hill4wheel extended shackles, ORD shackle flip and swaybar disco's, and procomp stainless brakelines. If they tell you that their stuff won't work, they don't deserve your business. My vote is with Tuff country HD springs.

10. RLBstein

RLBstein 1/2 ton status

I don't think you want BDS anyway....Have you seen their prices? I got my Rough Country for 299.00, and that was with shipping.