Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lift kit install

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 93h22cvc, May 27, 2006.

1. 93h22cvc

93h22cvc Registered Member

whats up guys. i got a question. how long should it take to install a 6 inch suspension lift and a 3 inch body lift on a 88 k-5. will be using my buddys shop which has a lift. just curious. thanks for the info

2. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

it depends upon alot of factors, such as how much rust your vehicle has and what kinda problems you will run into. Is it a daily driver? I would give myself at the very least a week.

3. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

The suspension should not take too long with all the right tools. Some of the issues you might have to deal with are:
    -Steering arm, lots of people struggle with this. Remove it while the axle is installed to make it easier.
    -Spring eye bolts. Heat and hammer...
    -You might need to change the exhaust "y" pipe so that it does not hit the front driveshaft.

For the BL I would start by hitting all of the bolts with PB blaster many times over since the truck is in CT

4. DirtyJim

DirtyJim 1/2 ton status

took me a weekend. get the torches out and hack everything off that you are not going to reuse. get new bolts instead of trying to reuse some. makes it go a lot quicker. i cut the springs and everything. dont forget if your going up 6" your front shaft might not reach.

5. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

It took me about 3 1/2 hours, with the help of a friend. I did spend extra time about a week prior making sure I had all of the right sized wrenches and sockets.

6. 93h22cvc

thanks for all th info guys . i should be doing the job tuesday providing there is an unoccupied lift at the shop i will post how i made out. thanks again

7. DirtyJim

DirtyJim 1/2 ton status

you are going to need new tranny lines with the body lift. i put a 2" body on mine and needed to get new longer bolts for the last set under the tailpan.

8. 93h22cvc

^thanks for the heads up

9. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

6" lift and blazer = drive shafts.

and go to the store now and get a can of p.b. blaster. soak all the nuts bolts and stuff till you get ready to do the kits. it will help big time. p.b. blaster is the cats a$$ :wink1:

10. 93h22cvc

^ do i definately need new driveshafts?

11. DirtyJim

DirtyJim 1/2 ton status

the rear will be fine if you drop the t-case. if you look at your cross member you sould have -frame - cross member - spacer - then a nut. all i did on mine was- frame - spacer - cross member - washer / nut. same drop as if you bought one. your front shaft will have to be made longer.

12. 93h22cvc

i just did the tranny and that is how i put it back together specifically for this purpose. thanks again