Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift Kit leaf springs!?!!??!.......

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by stimpy, Jan 27, 2001.

1. stimpy

stimpy Registered Member

Hey All,
    I don't know why it took so long for me to notice this, but why do all the adds you see for lift kits don't ask if you have a 1/2 or 3/4 ton blazer or truck. I always thought that the springs were what made it a 1/2 or 3/4 ton or am I completly wrong. Just a thought.

Thanks All,
    Todd Miller

love my blazer, and 43 Dodge Carryall
    IF IT'S SNOWING AND IT'S DEEP. I'LL BE OUT IN IT!!!!!!

2. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

The size of the axle is what determines whether it is a 1/2 or 3/4 ton. 10 bolt - 1/2 ton, 12 bolt - 3/4 ton, 14 bolt - one ton.

baja surf nazi

3. stimpy

stimpy Registered Member

Yea but wouldn't the springs have to be stronger to handle the extra carring weight??

4. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

well, i am not the expert but that seems to me to be "unsprung weight". The springs only carry the load of the truck, not the axles.

baja surf nazi

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If its an all spring lift I would imagine the rear lift spring for a K30 would be different than for a K5.

Rene

[​IMG]

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

The springs and axles are what makes it 1/2, 3/4 or 1 ton. half tons have 10 or 12 bolts and 5 or 6 leafs. 3/4 tons have 14 bolts, SF or FF depending on the year and if they are HD or not, usually with more leaves, 7 seems about right. 1 tons have 14 bolt FFs, and more leaves than that I think.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

90K5 is right. Also, on 81 and up K20's, not all of them, most have 56" long rear springs. Some DO have 52". All K10, K5's have 52". ALL K30's have 56". Suburbans have 56". The load rating also has some to do with the rearends too. The load rating is a combination between the springs and rearend.

8. stimpy

stimpy Registered Member

Which brings me back to the same question all over again. Why don't the companies that sell lift kits have different ones for 1/2 and 3/4 ton ect.... All they do is list years and that is this. Why would you sell one type of spring for all model when it sounds like you need different rated springs for different ton size trucks.

Todd Miller
    Lake Tahoe, CA

9. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

When most people lift trucks, they are not doing it to increase the payload just to carry something heavy. You can do that with stock springs. With a lift kit, the companies make mass quantities of the springs and sell them to the public for certain years of vehicles. Thats why you see kits that fit say, 73-87 trucks and so forth. The springs are compatible with all the vehicles in this year span but each has different hardware to fasten them. This is why they dont ask for the weight rating on the truck. They ask you for the size of the truck (1/2, 3/4, or 1 ton) so they can get you the right U-bolts, shocks, steering corrections, etc. I have two 1 tons and the lift on them are the same springs they sell for 1/2 and 3/4 tons.