Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lift kit options??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by swampers83, Jun 5, 2000.

1. swampers83

swampers83 Registered Member

I would like to get about 6" of lift for my blazer and make sure i do it correctly but not too expensive. Any particular brands?? I see kits for $400 and systems for like $600. I was wondering what would be the best setup. How about 6" springs in the front with 2" blocks and a 4" flip kit in the rear? Are there advantages to a flip kit? Or should i stay with the complete systems? THANKS!!!

chevy-like a rock

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

The set-up you describe sounds like the best one. There ARE definite advantages to using a shackle flip. The easiest way to find out about them all is click on "search" on the toolbar at the top of the page. Type in shackle flip and you'll get tons of posts. Its been discussed tons in the past.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. Balou

Balou 1/2 ton status

Yeah...
    after going through these tons of post I decided to go for
    ORD shackle flip rear and ORD EZ kit front.
    But it's a pain to decide if 4" or 6".
    Just my 4cts.!!! 6cts. ???

Balou
    '79 K5,350,465,205
    [​IMG]"Size DOES matter!!!" said the girl last night [​IMG]

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The 6-inch kit will make room for bigger tires, but it also requires many more modifications to the truck. Longer brake lines (and perhaps e-brake lines as well), steering correction, etc. Driveline angles will also be a problem. You'll need to clearance the front CV joint so it doesn't bind and self destruct at full droop. You'll also need to check carefully that neither driveshaft can pull apart at full droop (especially when the axle drops beyond it's "at rest" droop, such as when you're airborne). [​IMG]

What size tires do you want to run? Do you have the gears to deal with a tire that big? If not, you'll either be spending a lot more money or selling the rig because it's too sluggish. 3.42 gears and 38-inch tires will make your truck no fun at all to drive. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <font color=blue>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</font color=blue>

5. joe84bb

joe84bb Registered Member

What's this about an ORD EZ kit for the front? Is it some kind of shackle flip kit also, or am I looking for the wrong thing on their website?

I know just enough to know that I'll never know enough.

6. Balou

Balou 1/2 ton status

EZ kit is springs, they have havy duty springs as well,
    think they might be to stiff.

Balou
    '79 K5,350,465,205
    [​IMG]"Size DOES matter!!!" said the girl last night [​IMG]