Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift Kit Preference

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudBnny, Jul 1, 2001.

1. MudBnny

MudBnny Registered Member

I'm going to get my '86 Blazer back from the shop, hopefully, in about a week after getting a new drive shaft and transfer case installed. Right now it's got a 6" Superlift suspension on it, done by the previous owner. I think it looks sloppy and want to get a new suspension lift of about the same height, maybe even add a few inches. I was just looking for some help as far as choosing which lift kit to go with (Rancho vs. Superlift) . I off-road every now and then and plan on working the sand dunes in Pismo, CA in the fall. Any info is appreciated.

2. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I would choose Superlift over the Ranchos.... but I really like my 6" BDS lift so far... rides awsome! My second choice would be Skyjacker....The BDS and superlift superrides seem to be excellent on the street while the skyjackers are a bit stiffer just my $.02 worth

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</A>

3. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

i bought a superlift superride kit only because i had one before and was very happy with it. i heard skyjacker is just as good and a friend has one. i have not tried any of the others even though i have heard good things about alot of the others. you wil find people will have good and bad experiances with all the companies. i just bought something that had tried before because i cant handle paying for the shipping all the way here only to find it wasa piece of crap!

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I have Skyjacker front and rear springs. The ride is ok, but could be better if I had adjustable shocks. It currently rides with Rancho 5000 shocks. Those suck! I would use the Rancho 9000 series and adjust them to a softer ride.

BTW, I would like to try out BDS springs sometime. A lot of people are using these springs and they are also giving 'thumbs up' for this brand.

I have ran Rancho springs (both the soft and firm rides) and they suck. My opinion there though.

I ran some Trailmasters (firm ride) and those suck too.

I have never tried Superlift. I hear both good and bad with those too.

It all boils down to my choices. BDS and Skyjacker.

<font color=red>I m so we Todd did.
    I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red>

5. MudBnny

MudBnny Registered Member

Thanks for all the help. I've tried talking to som eguys who work at The Lift Kit Ware House in Ca. and they are NOT nice people so you're opinions and experience are going to help me decide which kit to use.

6. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I got a BDS lift about the same time as capt, but I did a 4" lift instead of the 6"... let me tell ya both our lifts came out higher then advertised. I don't think that my lift can sag 1 1/2" which is what it would take in order to make this thing a true 4" lift!

love the ride, but I've never ridden in a lifted vehicle before so I don't have anything to compare it to. it doesn't feel top heavy at all, and the more time goes on the softer this thing gets.

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

7. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

I have an 8" Skyjacker front and rear springs on my Blazer right now and love it. Superlift and Pro Comp are good ones too. Also, I have heard alot about BDS. I don't think I would trust Rancho, but that's just an opinion. Everyone has their own choice for lifts. Prices do vary, but most are the same.

Pedal mashed and KICK'N ASS!
    WFO! Wide [censored]'n OPEN!

8. scrapmetal

scrapmetal 1/2 ton status

ok to make sure I dont piss anybody else off, but I have sagged out Rancho, superlift and skyjacker springs, Im rather abusive, My most recent spring I went with were Pro-comp, they are way tough, I have repeatedly tryed to bust them and to date haven't, nor have they sagged out on me, I run 1-ton in the rear and they arent about to sag,,

Never been stuck, just temporarily delayed.
    When in doubt,,, put'er to the wood

9. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Pro-Comp is the same thing as Rancho. They simply slap a sticker on the Rancho products and away they go.

<font color=red>I m so we Todd did.
    I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red>

10. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

man you oughta get BDS springs then they have the best garantee in the bus. period! you brake them or sag, or whatever and the replace them no questioned asked! (you do have to be the orig. buyer)

I'm sure it is a pain the swap springs, but man that has to get expensive doesn't it???

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

11. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

My BDS springs have settled in great. I talked to Glen at BDS before I purchased my lift and they cover anything and everything on these babies. Even sag in the rear of our trucks if you go rear springs....(sag over time or age I mean). I rode in a skyjacker full sized 6" and had the softrides in and it was nice... a bit firmer then the BDS but very nice IMO. More bounchy then harsh I'd say. The Superlift superrides I rode in were in another Blazer... great ride and feel... but he had some sag problems in a short time. Not as tall as advertised after settling from what I've heard also. I've ridden in just about every major brand of lift spring since a guy I know has a buddy w/ a lift shop... he let me do some on road and offroad testing heheeh [​IMG]

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</A>

12. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Of the two I favor Superlift - I'm currently running a 4" Superride and love it. For the absolute best, I'd go with either National Spring or Deaver springs custom made to your rig.

If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>http://pugsley.alloffroad.com</A>