Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift kit Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by drumz1629, Aug 20, 2004.

1. drumz1629

drumz1629 Registered Member

I am the owner of a 84 K5 with a 6.2L diesel which i have added a ATS Turbo charger and upgraded 700R4. it is currently sitting on stock springs. i have built custom bumpers which arent very light and plan to add a winch. i noticed the front springs are 1.5" from the bump stops and show where they are contacting the springs. i am currently running 33X12.50 tires on stock wheels with limited rubbing on the right front. i was planing a set of Tuff country 4" HD springs (the only hd springs i have found) up front and ORD shackle flip in the rear. but i noticed my right rear is sagging also. so i assume i should replace all of the springs. i do plan to move up to a 35" tire for my next set of tires. i was also concidering a 6" lift instead of the 4". this is my daily driver, but it does see offroad use regularly, mainly in mud holes being how there isnt much else down here in south louisiana. i was wondering if the larger lift would cause any more drivability/reliability issues or drive line angle problems than the 4". i am open to any suggestions or comments.
    travis

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Superlift also offers an HD version spring for the front... Anytime you go up in size you run into driveline angle problems. With a 4" you can get by with just a front driveshaft spacer and the rear could be fine. With a 6" you may need to lengthen the rear d-shaft. If your rear is sagging, it would be a good idea to replace the rear springs. Or you could start off with a add-a-leaf, but they will sag eventually also. Some even will drop the t-case crossmember. That will help your driveline angle some and its free. There are spacers on top of your frame that the exisiting bolts go through. All you need to do is swap them in between the frame(lower side) and the crossmember. I have lifted a few k5's though and never had to go this route an dI like to keep things tucked up high...

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

4. Emmettology 101

DOH... damn multi-posters. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. drumz1629

first off, sorry for the multi post. i didnt think the first went through. and figured i would get better response here. Z3PR, did you have any drive line problems and if so what did you have to do to correct them? i did concider the option of a shackle flip in the rear and hd springs up front until i discovered my rear leaf delima. what is the benifit of the extra legnth on the fron shackles? i realize they are longer and was planning on building my own beefier ones. this vehichle mainly sees highway and city use with weekend off road use. i live in southwest lousiana and around here there are no rocks or moutains to play in so it is mainly used for mud and trail riding, so i need it to be fairly reliable. id like to go with the 6" if i can stay with my current drive shafts for now. i have read about shims , atleast on the rear to help the drive line agle, but i realize on the front shims will mess with the camber angle. i have thought of lowering the t case but dont like the idea of losing the ground clearance, besides i will have to make sure that the oil pressure sensor on the rear of the engine will clear the firewall since i had to add a t fitting to get the oil feed to the turbocharger. i will check out the superlift stuff since they are just a few hours from where i live. i am a collage student so money is somewhat an issue and i do all the work myself and want a fairly capable vehicle that is still decently reliable.
    travis

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    first off, sorry for the multi post. i didnt think the first went through. and figured i would get better response here. Z3PR, did you have any drive line problems and if so what did you have to do to correct them? i did concider the option of a shackle flip in the rear and hd springs up front until i discovered my rear leaf delima. what is the benifit of the extra legnth on the fron shackles? i realize they are longer and was planning on building my own beefier ones. this vehichle mainly sees highway and city use with weekend off road use. i live in southwest lousiana and around here there are no rocks or moutains to play in so it is mainly used for mud and trail riding, so i need it to be fairly reliable. id like to go with the 6" if i can stay with my current drive shafts for now. i have read about shims , atleast on the rear to help the drive line agle, but i realize on the front shims will mess with the camber angle. i have thought of lowering the t case but dont like the idea of losing the ground clearance, besides i will have to make sure that the oil pressure sensor on the rear of the engine will clear the firewall since i had to add a t fitting to get the oil feed to the turbocharger. i will check out the superlift stuff since they are just a few hours from where i live. i am a collage student so money is somewhat an issue and i do all the work myself and want a fairly capable vehicle that is still decently reliable.
    travis

[/ QUOTE ] I did have new driveshafts made for my K5, but it is a 76 and the original shafts were wore out. $200.00 per-shaft wasn't bad consittering all new parts, and ballanced. Had a slight vib, but shimming the rear axle fixed that.

7. drumz1629

i just finished reading the superlift install instructions on the 6" lift and it says that aslong as the stub shaft hasnt been replaced and everything isnt worn out that it will be fine. it does mentioning the possible need for minor grinding on the cv cluster housing to allow for the extra angle. and i assume that your rear shaft was fine with the lift.
    travis

8. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

No problem Pavement Pounder! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. Emmettology 101

I was just ribbin ya on the multiposts. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sounds like you're on the right track. I have run a 6" lift with only the front drivshaft spacer and no rear shaft mods. Also, I didn't drop the t-case cause I am not fond of that.... On my 82, this was done with 6" Superlift Superride front springs and a block/add-a-leaf combo in the rear.

10. drumz1629

well, i talked to a guy at superlift today, he said aslong as i use the raised steering arm everything else will work fine. he did say that aslong as the stub shaft on my front 'shaft has not been changed there should be no problems there. i also talked to a guy at skyjacker, he prety much said the same stuff. i originaly wanted to go with skyjacker but needed a hd spring. he told me of a part number for an extra leef you add to the pack. not an add a leaf but you actually dissasemble the spring pack and add it like in the third position. which should keep the front from saggin under the weight of the diesel and bumper. what is yall's oppinion on these 2 brands. and their method of making the front springs stouter (even though superlift's hd packs are probably the same thing just with the xtra leaf added at the factory)
    travis

11. drumz1629

anyone?

12. Emmettology 101

Well I have run a couple different Superlift lifts since '93 and have always been happy.. I have run their 4" HD front springs and their 6" Superride front springs.. My friend had a set of the 6" HD front springs also.... The leaves looked a little thicker and there was an extra leaf.

Also on the Skyjacker HD, adding a leaf. Thats still an add-a-leaf. Nothing wrong with add-a-leafs though...

13. drumz1629

how did your friend's hds ride compared to your softride springs? what other drive line/steering mods did you do along with the 6" lift?

14. Emmettology 101

The 6" HD's didn't ride that bad at all. A little stiffer than the superrides, but not a huge difference. It still ride decent and not harsh.. They did flex less than the superrides, but any spring with a higher rate will... And the only mods to the driveline and steering were 4" steering arms with a 1" front driveshaft spacer. My rear shaft was fine with the 208 case and slip yoke.

15. drumz1629

thanks, seems like most people are goin with the 1" front 'shaft spacer.
    travis