Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift kit Questions

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by drumz1629, Aug 19, 2004.

1. drumz1629

drumz1629 Registered Member

I am the owner of a 84 K5 with a 6.2L diesel which i have added a ATS Turbo charger and upgraded 700R4. it is currently sitting on stock springs. i have built custom bumpers which arent very light and plan to add a winch. /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif i noticed the front springs are 1.5" from the bump stops and show where they are contacting the springs. i am currently running 33X12.50 tires on stock wheels with limited rubbing on the right front. i was planing a set of Tuff country 4" HD springs (the only hd springs i have found) up front and ORD shackle flip in the rear. but i noticed my right rear is sagging also. so i assume i should replace all of the springs. i do plan to move up to a 35" tire for my next set of tires. i was also concidering a 6" lift instead of the 4". this is my daily driver. i was wondering if the larger lift would cause any more drivability/reliability issues or drive line angle problems than the 4". i am open to any suggestions or comments. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
    travis

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Replacing the springs is probably a good idea if it's got a lean to it, that's usually a good indicator that it's time.
    I'd say the smart way to go would be with the 4" lift since driving it a lot is in your requirements. The lower lift will leave friendlier driveline angles. If you need a bit more clearance, you could look at a 1" body lift and past that, trim a little fender. You might want to look at our project 'burb here: ORD 'Burb buildup
    It's set up along the same lines as what you want to do with your truck so it would be a good recipe to look at. I think you're on the right track, this truck sounds a lot like Four Wheeler's project "stinky" blazer from a few years back. They built the 6.2L turbo diesel and ran a 2.5" suspension with the 1" body lift and 35's. It was a pretty nice rig for all around use, especially since it got 16-18 mpg on the highway and was really comfortable to drive.

3. drumz1629

drumz1629 Registered Member

thanks for the info. ive read that article several times on the ord site. id like to find a copy of that four wheel issue that you are talking about. im still running stock gearing of 3.42:1 (yuck) with my 33x12.50r15 bridgstone dueler MT and manage to squeeze out 22/25 mpg (city/hwy). im running those tires at a saggy stock height with minimal rubbing on the pass front fender in hard turns when hitting a bump. i do plan to swap to 4.10:1 and a nice set of 35s when time permits. i have been looking at 3 diff lift brands, skyjacker, tuff country, and superlift. tc and superlift offer hd spring while skyjacker offers a leaf that you add in the middle of the pack. i need the extra in the front due to the diesel and the new bumper i just put on 2 hours ago. i heard the stock springs yell when i let the weight down on them. what is your oppinion on these 3 brands?
    travis
    ps. ill post pics of the fron bumper to get oppinions while i build the rear.

4. Dilbert73

Dilbert73 Registered Member

I have a question along this line. I'm looking to go about the same direction, with 4" front springs and a rear shackle flip. But I also have the worn out rear springs that need to be replaced. Where is the best place to get factory height rear springs? From the factory? Do any aftermarket companies make these?

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

We carry the TCI springs because we've always had good luck with them and they do have a decent selection. We have a set of the 4" HD's on a local customers truck and on my Dad's 1-ton plow truck and they work out well for carrying extra loads, I think you'd be pretty happy with them.
    I'm not sure when the fourwheeler "stinky" project ran, sometime in '98 and '99 maybe? The fourwheeler website might have some info for you.

For replacement rear springs, we could set you up with a set from a local spring company, they cost about like lift springs (around $300 for the pair) but we do have some selection of capacities if you know you want stiffer or softer.