Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift Kit Questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by johnny reb, Jun 27, 2000.

1. johnny reb

johnny reb 1/2 ton status

I'm in the market for either a 2" or 4" lift for my 86 K5. Looking through my 4X4 mags I noticed that most kits are offered with or without rear springs. What would the difference be if I buy a kit without the rear springs? Does the rear end sag? Are these difficult to install at home?

2. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

If you order a lift kit w/o rear springs you'll get a block that you put underneath your existing springs to give you the lift. Over time the block will kinda bend your springs...blocks are a cheap way to go....definately not the most comfortable ride with them. Blocks have a tendency to give your axle more movement than springs(axle wrap). I've got 2" block & 2" add a leaf out back and my ride sucks! But I bought the truck like that and haven't gotten a chance to change it. Nothing too wrong with blocks....personally I won't have 'em again.

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Hey Johnny Reb,
    I got a Rancho 4" I'll sell ya, check it out in the parts for sale section. It has the rear springs.

89 K5 Silverado

4. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Most come with blocks and blocks increase axle wrap. There is also a 3rd option for you. Do a rear shackle flip. If you decide to go with rear springs, they are no more hard to install than a set of front springs, just need some good jackstands and a good floojack. I did all my suspension stuff by myself, mostly because my friends are not available at 2 a.m. when I used to do lots of work on my K5.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Rear Blocks= Wheel Hop that's caused by axel wrap.
    When you really get on the gas the rear spring pack wil form into a sideways S and then the force when the spring releaces back to it's original shape causes the rearend to HOP. While climbing a hill one day this happend to me and I TWISTED the corp 12bolt I had with 4" lift blocks and stock spring packs.
    I now have SuperLift spring packs in the rear and no longer get wheel hop!!

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com