Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift Kit reccomendation???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tayven, Jul 1, 2004.

1. tayven

tayven 1/2 ton status

I am almost done with My cage and seat mounts. Time to start thinking about the outside. What company and kit would anyone like to reccomend for 4" lift on a 76 cheyenne. I want to run 36's and my wheel fenders are already cut out. I can get a good discount on Sky jacker, Rancho, Superlift. So if anyone can reccomend what they have used or seen it would be great. I woul also do a 6" if it was reccomended. Exact descriptions or part numbers would be great becasue I will order it through my dealership. Thanks!!!

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I am almost done with My cage and seat mounts. Time to start thinking about the outside. What company and kit would anyone like to reccomend for 4" lift on a 76 cheyenne. I want to run 36's and my wheel fenders are already cut out. I can get a good discount on Sky jacker, Rancho, Superlift. So if anyone can reccomend what they have used or seen it would be great. I woul also do a 6" if it was reccomended. Exact descriptions or part numbers would be great becasue I will order it through my dealership. Thanks!!!

[/ QUOTE ] ORD. TC 6" springs + ORD heavy duty extended shackles up front. ORD 4" Shackle flip + TC 3" Springs rear. I'm sure ORD can suply you with everything else you'll need also. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I did a Superlift 2.5" Superride kit. I think next time I might shop a little. My big complaint is that the springs didn't come with the silencer pads, and now I get a lot of noise from the front when wheeling.

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I agree with Z3PR /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif[​IMG]

5. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ORD. TC 6" springs + ORD heavy duty extended shackles up front. ORD 4" Shackle flip + TC 3" Springs rear. I'm sure ORD can suply you with everything else you'll need also.

[/ QUOTE ]

he wants reccomendation for a 4" lift, not 7.

skyjacker, rancho and superlift all have reputations of being really stiff.i would go with the 4" Tuff Country EZ rides up front and the 4" shackle flip for the rear. BDS springs also come highly reccomended, tho i have no personal experience.i think they cost a little more as well.

i would definatly go with the flip instead of lift springs for the rear if you plan to wheel. only downside is you have to drop the fuel tank and remove 12 rivets.no big deal if you've got the right tools and know how. you'll also most likely need to shim the axle for correct pinion angle or use a CV shaft.
    you can always add a set of zero rates to level it out in the rear if needed.

i've got the ORD shackles, they are nice, add about a 1/4 inch of lift and are very stout pieces. they would be a good addition, but not required.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Superlift and Skyjacker are not, "really stiff." Pro-Comp, Genuine Suspension, and Rancho are stiff. Superlift and Skyjacker are somewhat in the middle. BDS aren't super soft either, I'd put them in the same range as Superlift and Skyjacker's soft rides. Tuff Country EZ-Rides ARE super soft and they're designed to be that way.

7. wide load

wide load Registered Member

The thread has good information on the lifts depending on how stiff or soft you want your suspension.

In addition to Z3PR's great recommendation of using ORD's HD shackles, I'd add to that ORD's Zero Rate Spring blocks so that you can move your front axle forward either 1" or 1.5". That should prevent your front tires from rubbing on the rear of the front fender wells.

That, along with your lift will also force you to work on your front drive shaft.

You will probably find that the double cardigan on the transfer case side of your drive shaft will bump its travel stops at the lifted drive height and the double cardigan will probably not turn at all at full droop.

I had these problems. I highly recommend Tom Woods Custom Drive Shafts. They modified and lengthened my drive shaft for about $150.

Good luck, and have fun!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    ORD. TC 6" springs + ORD heavy duty extended shackles up front. ORD 4" Shackle flip + TC 3" Springs rear. I'm sure ORD can suply you with everything else you'll need also.

[/ QUOTE ]

he wants reccomendation for a 4" lift, not 7.

skyjacker, rancho and superlift all have reputations of being really stiff.i would go with the 4" Tuff Country EZ rides up front and the 4" shackle flip for the rear. BDS springs also come highly reccomended, tho i have no personal experience.i think they cost a little more as well.

i would definatly go with the flip instead of lift springs for the rear if you plan to wheel. only downside is you have to drop the fuel tank and remove 12 rivets.no big deal if you've got the right tools and know how. you'll also most likely need to shim the axle for correct pinion angle or use a CV shaft.
    you can always add a set of zero rates to level it out in the rear if needed.

i've got the ORD shackles, they are nice, add about a 1/4 inch of lift and are very stout pieces. they would be a good addition, but not required.

[/ QUOTE ] Read the first post completely. [ QUOTE ]
    *I woul also do a 6" if it was reccomended.*

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

9. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    You will probably find that the double cardigan on the transfer case

[/ QUOTE ]

all very good info. Except cardigans are like sweaters, and a double cardan joint goes on driveshafts /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

-- A

10. tayven

tayven 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the Adsvice. Has anyone used any of the 4" or 6" inch lifts from superlift? Does stiff mean they will Wheel worse and ride on the street better? A little more insight on what I will be loosing by going with one of their lifts would be helpful. This will be my first lifted truck and will be driven on the street as much as the trail.

11. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I run a 6" superlift in the front and mine flexes good.

12. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I run a 6" superlift in the front and mine flexes good.

[/ QUOTE ]

good? good?.... Um for how far it stuffs the 40's I'd say you're past good /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

13. mrk5

Here's a spring rate table. Maybe that will help.

I know on the interstate in the mountains, the superlift feels softer than stock in the corners. Haven't really "stuffed" the suspension on the trail.

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I have 6" Superlift front springs, and am seriously consittering swapping them out for some BDS or Tough Country springs.The Superlifts are just a little too rough ridding for me.

15. TWISTEDJACK

Here you go.....springs in action 6" SUperlift /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif They ride nice too but you need to break them in /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif [​IMG]

16. mrk5

Awesome pic! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Did you submit it for the rigs in action calendar?

17. TWISTEDJACK

Nope, I don't get out here as much as I would like so I guess I could try and find that post.

18. mrk5

19. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Read the first post completely.
    Quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*I woul also do a 6" if it was reccomended.*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/ QUOTE ]

whoops, i didnt see that there. i guess i'll modify my answer:

i would go with 4" to keep lower center of gravity, also less steering and driveshaft mods. since you've already cut the fenders up pretty good there is no reason to go higher,and usually the higher the lift spring the stiffer the spring rate.

[ QUOTE ]
    Superlift and Skyjacker are not, "really stiff." Pro-Comp, Genuine Suspension, and Rancho are stiff. Superlift and Skyjacker are somewhat in the middle. BDS aren't super soft either, I'd put them in the same range as Superlift and Skyjacker's soft rides. Tuff Country EZ-Rides ARE super soft and they're designed to be that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

well i've had 3" EZ rides on my truck for over a year and they feel about as stiff as the stockers, definatly not super soft. so i'd say anything more than that is too stiff to me. maybe i need 400lbs of bumper and winch added to the front, then it will feel super soft.

i thought about using the zero rates up front to move the axle forward an inch, but i was advised this is not a good idea with a stock steering setup, since the more you move the axle forward the shorter you draglink becomes, and the stock length draglength already sucks offroad. besides, he said he already trimmed the fenders so that should not be a problem.

20. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am running 4" TC EZ Ride HD's. I personally think they are a little stiff. When they were installed they rode like arse. They broke in after a few runs offroad but they are still kind of stiff for my liking. I also have a Warn M12000 hanging off front of my truck. That is 120lb winch in a 30lb mount. This didn't seem to phase the ride height when I took it off for awhile.

Next time around I am going to go with a custom hybrid Jeep spring or custom springs from somewhere like Alcan or National. Standard EZ Rides might be ok too but I am not going to find out the hard way.

Just my $.02. I wouldn't run a spring that has more rate then a EZ Ride HD. It would just get brutal. I have ridden in a truck with 4" BDS springs and it was similar to my EZ Ride HD's.

Harley