Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lift kit

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chevyboy24598, Jul 17, 2001.

1. chevyboy24598

chevyboy24598 1/2 ton status

What would be the best lift for a 73' Chevy? I want to go 4 inches in the suspension.

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

What will be the main use of the 73?

<font color=green>MIKE</font color=green> - "Hukd on fawnics,werkd fer me!"
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I can't speak for all lifts and certainly don't have the experience to vouch for what is best in many situations. But, I can vouch for the lift I have and why. I am running a 4" Rough Country lift. I got the one with front and rear springs. My reasoning was that (1) I don't like blocks, (2) I had significant sag in my factory rear springs so they needed replacing, (3) the Rough Country lift came complete with shocks and steering arm for only $459, and (4) many people on this site recommended them.

The Rough Country lift was nice because it was complete and a staright bolt on, I needed no additional brackets, adapters, modifications, or other parts. It was economical. And the company provided good customer service.

My .02

85 GMC Jimmy <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com</a>

4. chevyboy24598

The truck will never see the road, it will be run in mud boggs.

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Just about any kit will work for ya. Superlift and BDS offer a lifetime warranty on their springs against sag... Some have run the Rough Country and Tuff Country with good comments.. Same with Skyjacker and Rancho, althoguh I have heard the Ranchos are a little stiff..

Just check around for good prices..

<font color=green>MIKE</font color=green> - "Hukd on fawnics,werkd fer me!"
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

6. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

4" is pretty low for a mud truck. But most of the guys I know run a pretty stiff suspension like Rancho, Rough Country, Superlift HD, or Skyjackers in the mud pits. All they want is height and ground clearence mostly. I personally like my BDS springs for a good all around performance.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</a>

7. chevyboy24598

They have classes, like A-33inch, B-36inch, ect. I'm running n the 33inch class, and it would look real stupid to lift it more than 4inches. I already have a 3inch body lift.

8. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

If it were me, I wouldn't even lift it 4 inches, and i'd take the body lift out. If you never want to run bigger tires than 33s, just trim the fenders and run the 33s with no lift... you'll have a low center of gravity. Invest the money in another area of the truck.

<font color=purple>L8R..

chevy<font color=green>4x4</font color=green></font color=purple>

9. chevyboy24598

I need the extra ground clerance , cause the bogg is so deep!
    If you want to see the bogg, go to www.pinelanemuddbogg.com

10. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Tires give you ground clearance, not the suspension. If you have a 12" suspension lift and 31s, you have the same amount of ground clearance as with stock suspension and 31s. The body will be a lot further away from the ground with the lift, but your axles will the be the same.

<font color=purple>L8R..

11. chevyboy24598

Did you go to the website? The mud is over my bumper! I want to get the truck tall enough so I wont have to worry about mud getting in my engine. I will NEVER put it on the street!

12. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Yes I did go to the site... half of the site is under construction, so I couldn't see many pics. There are ways to prevent mud from getting into your engine...Also, just because you lift it, doesn't mean the engine will stay clean... but it will help. Anyways, if this is a mud only truck, I think you should strip it. Remove absolutely everything you don't need. The lighter the truck, the less horsepower you need to go through the mud.

<font color=purple>L8R..

13. chevyboy24598

Your not gonna talk me out of a lift kit, so forget it. I got enough power. So why would I want it to be lighter? The lighter trucks dont do [censored] in that mud!

14. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Get the lift kit... I'm just sayin' that I wouldn't.

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

So why would I want it to be lighter? The lighter trucks dont do [censored] in that mud!

<hr></blockquote>

What do you mean by that? Why do the lighter trucks do [censored] in the mud?

<font color=purple>L8R..

15. chevyboy24598

Opinions are like A**holes, everybody has one!

16. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Explain your opinion on why light mud trucks suck.

<font color=purple>L8R..

17. chevyboy24598

I dont know! There is only 2 small trucks that run, and they always end up in last place. The reson, I dont no!

18. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I never said make your truck small...
    Say if somone has a K30 with a 600hp 502, th400, np205, dana 60 and 14 bolt with 5:13 gears, and 44" Boggers. If that guy stripped the body, and just left a seat in it, it would perform better in the mud than before. The truck would be lighter by about 1500 pounds (not sure how much a body weighs). The driveline wouldn't break as easily because of the reduced weight. It would take less horsepower to move the truck, and it would be faster.

<font color=purple>L8R..

19. chevyboy24598

You cant do that, unless you run in the XX class! Those guys run nitrous and tractor tires!

20. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I didn't say that you should do that. I was sayin to you that a lighter truck does better in the mud. I'm not sure what the rules are for each class, but I don't think if you remove the top, tailgate, strip the interior, remove the glass from the doors, lose the gas tank and add a fuel cell, etc. you will be in the XX class. If you add all that up, that's about 400-500 pounds gone. It will help.

Back to your original question...

<font color=purple>L8R..