Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lift kit

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DaveK5, Nov 28, 2001.

1. DaveK5

DaveK5 Registered Member

Nov 28, 2001
    I have a 78 K5 blazer. In the very near future Im going to put a 6" lift on it with 35's. I wondering if my stock axles will hold up with the larger tires. (10 bolt front, 12 bolt rear) Also I know I will have to lengthen the brake lines and steering shaft. Is there anything else that will need to be modified.

Thanks for your help,
  2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Nov 15, 2001
    Stock axles will hold up to the larger tires, but take it easy on them. A heavy right foot is the main thing that kills an axle with large tires on it. I have a friend with 9" lift and 38" tires, and his 10/12 bolt combo is holding up because he takes it easy on them. You will need longer brake lines, the Skyjacker lines are VERY nice, Pro Comp's aren't that bad either. Steering shaft, you will need a steering correction are. They're somewhere around $80. Driveshafts might have to be modified. I called Tuff Country about their 6" for my Burban, and they said I wouldn't have to because they give my pinion shims and a kit to lower the t-case. This is for the Tuff Country, so it can be different for other lifts.

Red 1989 GMC Suburban SLE V1500 - TBI 350, 700R4 w/ shift kit, Quad-shock front, 31/10.50/15 Pro Comp MT, 4.10 gears, Duals off cat
  3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Feb 2, 2001
    I never had to do any steering shaft mods but you will needs drop pitman arm and raised steering arm to level out your draglink. 6" seems to need longer driveshafts and the slipe yoke t case models a lot of times need a CV shaft in the rear (This also seems to be the case if you do a shackle flipe... seems vibes become an issue). You can run a superlift frt driveshaft spacer on some model tcases. If you want no driveline mods for sure go the 4" lift, you can still fit 35's most likely. Basically that is all I will say on the lift cause the 6" lift has been described at least twice in the past 2 days. If you want specfics and tips feel free to pm me and I can give you specfics or do a search. Sorry but it gets to be a lot for my slow typing hands to do LOL.

In terms of the axles... what gears do you have now... I would definetly shoot for 4.10 gears if you don't have them, otherwise it is gonna be a slug. 4.10's are tough to find in 1/2 ton anyways so I would suggest going the d44 front and 14BFF rear. This way you can order up the tires and wheels for that combo. If I was doing everything over again I would have gone 3/4 ton stuff instead of upgrading to a d44/12B setup... cause it is costing me much more $$$ to do it now [​IMG]. Even if you don't think you'll need them, overkill is good . I would suggest modifing the 12B anyways which would cost the same or more then a 14 anyhow.

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>