Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift Kit

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4x4machine, Feb 13, 2002.

1. 4x4machine

4x4machine Registered Member

My question is, what consists of a lift kit? longer shackles, or does it just include longer springs or both. I'm not really sure on what this entails. (for a 4 inch lift)

Also which is better a 4 inch body lift or 4 inch suspension lift. I plan on using 35' tires.

Thanks

drive it like you stole it

2. kacksterk5

kacksterk5 Registered Member

ok. If your truck is a 76-91 K5 Blazer or 76-87 Pickup a suspension lift "kit" comes with new front springs, ubolts, Rear lift Blocks and rear ubolts. SOme kits include shocks some don't but you need them. call National Tire and Wheel. They will hook you up and explain everything.

88 K5 6inch skyjacker 35's
    86 4Runner Street Stocka
    Years driving=5
    Years Wheelin = 7

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Depends. You will get new front springs with any lift. They will have a higher arch (4"). For the back there are different oftions.
    1. Lift Block: (avoid at all costs) You keep your factory springs, and put a 4" block between the axle and springs.
    2: Add a leaf: (better) A arched leaf is added to your spring pack to make it arch up more and give lift.
    3: New Springs (Best) You get new higher arched spring just like the front.

There is also a shackle flip available that reverses the rear shackle on the rear leaf spring pack that is very good too. It has many benifits, but some down sides. What kind of wheeling do you do, and what do you with your truck? (tow, etc)

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

4. Hossbaby50

Also like kacksterK5 said, you will get new u bolt, and the hardware needed for the lift. And some come with shocks some don't.

5. 4x4machine

Mainly most of the offroading will be snow (we get alot), some mud (not very deep, 6 inches at most), small dunes and fireroads, and very little crawling (not that demanding anyways).

I will be towing a skidoo trailer with 3 skidoo's, at about 3000lbs, and that will be the extent of my towing.

(BTW: I don't have a truck yet, I am presently looking for one, and doing a little research on the side on what to look for, and what to watch out for on a Jimmy/Blazer)

drive it like you stole it

6. Hossbaby50

Shackle flips can cause problems with towing, so that might not be the route to go. If you have the $ springs all the way around is the best option.

As for problems to watch for in a blazer is cracks in the frame around the steering box, broken or breaking rear upper shock mounts, and the other normal stuff for any truck. What ever you do try and stay away from a Blazer with a 305 motor. They suck, 350 is the way to go. Also if you get a truck with a manual tranny make sure it has a real low first gear, and no overdrive. Check for rust underneath the truack too. Chevy's are notorious for that. (floorpans, and tailpans) Other then that, just find the blazer that best suits you and your budget. If you have any more questions just ask them. Everyone here has been threw what you are going threw, trying to find the right truck.

7. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Shackle flips can cause problems with towing, so that might not be the route to go. If you have the $ springs all the way around is the best option.

<hr></blockquote>

What kind of problem's? Just wanted to know-

Eric
    from Freekmont,CA.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/vwryda> Miscellaneous Debris </a>

8. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

the shackel flip lets the spring have little to no arch. with is great for flex on the trial, but you loose the amount your truck holds in towing capability...aka it will sag and be bouncy when you trialer anything heavy.

9. Hossbaby50

A while back Grimmy posted about how his truck started hopping while he was towing, and about how it was almost impossible to control. I have heard similar things from other people too, so that is what I base my statement on.

10. 4x4machine

Roughly how much would a lift kit with springs cost?? About middle of the road quality.

Drive It Like Its Stolen

11. 4x4machine

Oops, never mind that last post, I just saw a previous post about prices for a lift kit.

BTW: Why is it not a good idea to use blocks rather than springs?

Drive It Like Its Stolen