Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

LIft Kit

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76 jimmy Az, Mar 17, 2000.

1. 76 jimmy Az

76 jimmy Az Registered Member

HEy i am a newbie and i need some help on a lift kit. I have talked to a few of you and decided to get a 4 inches kit by Skyjacker or Tuff Country with front springs, but my question is? if i get that kit will i have to add a leaf in the back to fix the "sag" common on jimmys and if i have to how much is that going to cost. Thanx for you help

2. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

4" Front springs and 6" rear springs...or you will have to add 2" blocks with the 4" springs like me....learn from my mistake...do you have a friend who works at AutoZone on 43rd and Cactus by chance...???

AZBLAZER

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

3. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

I put a 4" spring in front and a 4" block in back with a long add-a-leaf ($25 each) in back. It sat perfectly level for months until I put a 12,000 lb Warn winch on the front. It sagged about 1/2" at the front wheel well. So I fabricated 1" longer stainless steel front shackles. Now it sits level again. The increased caster actually makes the truck drive better on the freeway. What ever you do "DON'T BUY FROM FOUR WHEELER SUPPLY". They don't stand behind any product they sell.
    CB

4. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

Wow, looks like this post is just for us AZ'ers!

OK. Let me ask something that's been bugging me. It you call it a 4" lift (or any lift for that matter) but you are raising up the back another 2" then is it a 4" lift or a 6" lift?

Reason I'm asking is that I measured how much room I can lift her and still make it into my garage. (BTW: I've got 8" to play with). Now let's say I just did the shackle flip in the rear. That net's me 4" in the rear right? But to keep her level I'd only need 2.5" in the front right? (BTW she is perfectly level right now). So will I be raising my rig 2.5" or 4" ?

Maybe the question is, if it's level to begin with - why is it 2" shorter in the rear after the lift?

It'll make a big difference to me when it comes time to pick out tires... I guess the lift will come first (and look really stupid with those puny 30's I've got on there now...

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Most fullsize Blazers sit approximately 2" lower in the rear (sag) when completely stock, so if you lift it and want to sit "level", you will need an extra 2" in the rear. In your case, it already sits level so raising it 4" both in the front and rear will keep it level.
    Clear as mud....?

6. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

You betcha, I just thought I was missing something. Funny thing is that I really do believe my rig sits level now (stock) and yet it almost looks like the top itself was made a hair taller in front than in the rear. I can measure the part where the top meets the body in the front and rear and they are the same from that spot to the floor. It's just hard to measure the total height at the front of the topper and rear of the topper since it isn't square on top.

I've said top enough huh?

TGIF......

88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

7. WELLH2O

WELLH2O Registered Member

I do not mean to break up the AZ thing but I am from NV so close enough right? I was just wondering where you are measuring from to say that the rear sits 2" lower than the front. If you could tell me where you measure I would like to see if mine is actually sagging.

8. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

I'm sure the guys who have sagging rigs will be able to tell you better, but I know I've seen some on the streets that are drastically lower in the rear.

The way I measured mine was to drive into my garage until the top of my front window was in line with the frame of the garage door. Measured that and then pulled in until the rear most of the top matched up. Measured that and the two measurements came out even. (Don't forget to take into account if you have a full or empty tank of gas. That can make a big difference.)

88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

9. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Steve88

Now it's an international discussion!!! I've got the same situation as you as best I can see. I haven't measured anything yet but looking at it side on, my Blazer sits nice and level. If anything, it might be a half inch or so higher in the rear. Now what do I do? Do I get 6" front and 8" rear springs?

Brian
    Still in search of the TBI KING!!

10. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

Ya know the funny thing is that from what I gather in all the previous replies on this board about the ~2 " of difference I don't think I've heard one comment (until this post) that people's rigs started out with a sag or not.

Maybe the problem is the lift kit introduces a 2" higher front? Perhaps the lift companies plan on front sag of their springs (where as the blocks will obviously not sag) so they make it 2" or so higher in the front to plan for their springs to ultimately relax over time? Still doesn't answer the all 4 springs in all corners-lift needing 2 more inches in the rear though. And I can't believe that the lift was designed for a pickup (with a bed instead of a top) to attribute the sag to that.

Can someone who has measured their rig before and after the lift comment on the difference in the sag before (if any) and after?

(glad to see the international replies! but bet it's not 85 where you are!! Way too nice out to be at work today!!)

88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

11. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

If you really want to see a sag try replacing an old 4" lift spring with a new one. It rode 2-3" higher on the driver front corner for a few weeks. I bent a Superlift s**tride spring, which is has lifetime warranty, but they don't honor their own warranty. I replaced just that spring. Did I mention that I hope know one does any business with Superlift. I'm rambling now.
    CB

12. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

Hey Charles, do you work at the Intel right here in Chandler? Used to live right next to it in Gila Springs. Now I'm about 5 blocks east of it.

88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

13. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I think it is part illision and part springs not designed to handle the topper weight. If you look at a Toyota 4Runner it is even more noticble. What I did was put new 4" springs all around, waited six months, then put a floor jack under the rear punkin and jacked it up untill I thought it looked right. Then I measured and bought a block. BTW mine needed a 1.5" block to look right. Jim

BigJBear '80 GMC

14. Kodiak

Kodiak 1/2 ton status

Lift kits are rated for the weight of trucks. The rear of a blazer is heavier than a truck rearend. A 4 inch rear spring will only raise a blazer 2inches. Look at skyjackers web site for correct springs. Their system for a 2 1/2 inch lift uses 2 1/2 inch front springs and 4 inch rear springs. Most other makers do this also. You just have to make sure they know it is for a blazer and not a truck.

15. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

My '90 had a noticable "sag" in the rear with the stock suspension. I put 4" Skyjacker softride springs on the front and a 4" block with the stock springs in the rear, which actually made the situation a little worse. Upon measuring the front and rear wheelwells to floor distance, the front had raised almost 5" and, of course, the rear was raised right at 4". I believe the 5" front lift increase was due to the stock front springs were worn out and sagging about an 1" (just kinda guessing). Also, when I remove the top in the summer the rear raises up about 1-1.5" which makes it look at lot more level. I do think the extra weight on the rear of a Blazer is what makes the difference as compared to a 1/2 ton pickup, the top and rear window/hardware weigh around 350 lbs, plus you have around a 30 gallon tank hanging off the rear of the frame, and all of the extra interior parts in the rear (trim and the rear seat). I plan on installing a ORD shackle flip and short block (1-1.5") in the future, and keep the stock springs because I really like the flex they provide.

16. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

I think all the AZ K5's ought to plan a backside trip to Crown King next month...any takers? Anyways i talked with Steve at ORD today when i ordered a bunch of goodies for the 79...the weight of the top - the fuel tank - and the heavy tailgate sag the rearend where as p/u's don't have all the weight like we do. I bought my rear 4" superlifts from 4 Wheelers supply and asked specifically about this problem before plunking down the cash and look where it got me...anyways my truck was level before the lift with a 3/8 sag to the left rear...after the 4" lift sameo sameo...i measure from the body line as it is true all the way down the K5...so with the current set up even with 1" blocks i'm a little low in the rear so i ordered 2" blocks and u-bolts from steve to cure the problem. My front left spring also now sags ( tuff country) after having a 10K winch to haul around for the last two years...eventually i'll get around to fixing that too but right now with 2 K5's to prep for the Why To K5 Run thats a minor detail...lol.

AZBLAZER

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

17. Blazerbob

Blazerbob 1/2 ton status

When I look at the lift kits in the various 4 wheel mags they usually say for chevy truck then there is a different one for Blazer/Jimmy. If you got the one for the Blazer that should make it sit level right? I will be getting a lift next spring so I need to find out. My K5 sits higher in the back now but there is an add a leaf on the back.

<font color=blue>Blazerbob</font color=blue>[​IMG]