Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift kit

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by Halffast, May 22, 2003.

1. Halffast

Halffast Newbie

I would like to know if anyone has any ideas about lifting an S10 Crewcab. I've talk to several suspension folks, and they don't carry anything for it. I've been told you can pull up the front end with the torsion bars....but am wondering if this is okay??? I don't want alot of lift..maybe a couple of inches.
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Don /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

yes it is ok to use the torsion bars

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've been driving my '91 S-Jimmy with the torsion bars cranked to the stops for about 10 years now. In the rear I installed an add-a-leaf to level things out. The rear is slightly stiffer than stock, but I only notice it on speed bumps. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif When you crank up the torsion bars, the front end is basically topped out, so there's VERY little droop left. It's really strange getting into a corner too hard, as the inside tire will sometimes lift right off the road as the weight shifts to the outside. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

BTW, I can still only get 30x9.50's to clear the fenders. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

you cranked the torsion bars and only got 30s? i have 30s on a stock height 99 4x2, rub at full lock only, and only when in reverse and backing hard.. dont jack the torsion bars, you compromise ride quality, and the life of your CV shafts and suspension parts, buy a body lift if you only want a couple of inches..

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep, on a '91 30's rub if it isn't lifted a bit. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif But then I actually use it off road, so I probably use up more of the suspension than many people would. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Ride quality certainly isn't bad. It rides smoother than my stock '90 Suburban. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif The factory non-greasable suspension parts were all shot by 70K miles. But I replaced 'em all with greasable stuff and 72K miles later the front end is still nice and tight and the tires wear very evenly. One factory CV boot gave up the ghost at just over 100K.

I've been very happy with the results. Cranking up the bars and slapping in the add-a-leaf lifted the frame up out of the weeds a bit, so it doesn't drag over rocks nearly as bad as it used to. A body lift won't help with that, plus since the frame already hangs so low on S-10's, I think they look incredibly stupid with body lifts installed. This one has been lifted like this for over 100K miles with no problems that seem out of the ordinary, other than the wierd lift-a-tire thing from having only an inch or two of downward wheel travel. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif 142K miles on the clock and it's still going strong. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif