Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lift kits and tire sizes

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by domator, Nov 30, 2001.

1. domator

domator Registered Member

I would like to ask about lift kits and tire sizes.
    I own FullSize Blazer 1986 withe 6.2 diesel engine.
    I would like to use 35" tires but rather wide (14"-15"). I am thinking about Mickey Thompson Baja Claw or Super Swamper by Interco. Is 4" lift enougt? Or should I rather think about 6". I would preffer 4" kit because you have less problems withh "additives" so I can accept minor fender trimming with 4" lift kit but I wouldn't like to cut my truck :-))
    What would you reccomend?
    I use truck real off-road.
    Piotr

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Welcome!

Please fill out your profile with detailed info.

4" lift with 35s will rub. And I would think they will rub real bad with wide 35s.

Currently I am forced to go higher (see pics in sig) and I will start with 5" suspension and the next step will be 1" body.

A 6" lift will be the easiest solution. 6" springs will 'bounce' more tho.

Dave

Horn Broken... Watch For Finger.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics</a>

3. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

They are gonna rub, and trim the sheet metal for you if you dont first. if you put spacers on the wheels youll save your frame, but still not the sheetmetal. A 1" lift from ORD might get you just enough clearence without having too many additives. saw that your in poland. good to see that they use K5's there too. military at that

nathan

4. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I have an 85 with 4" Rough Country lift and BFG 35x12.50x15 MTs. First time out, I chewed the snot out of my front fenders. Got dangerous at times as I was unable to steer the vehicle at full compression. Luckily, the fenders are the only thing that got chewed and not the tires themselves.

I have since installed ORD HD front shackles (greaseable of course), ORD 1" body lift, and ORD 4.5" competition bumpstops. I also trimmed the fenders and installed some Bushwacker cut-out fender flares. It all looks really good and I think it has solved my issue. I am venturing out for another big wheelin' trip this weekend and will see how it does nowadays.

Of course, now that I can steer, I will probably blow an axleshaft u-joint thanks the the front Detroit locker!

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!