Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lift kits

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by beat'83, Feb 11, 2003.

1. beat'83

beat'83 Registered Member

how tough is a 3" lift on an '89 blazer to install, and what parts, other than springs and shocks, are needed?

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Not familure with a 3" lift kit unless it's a body lift, So I'll assume you're talking about a 4" lift. If you buy a complete lift kit it should have everything needed. (Springs, shocks, raised steering arm, extened break lines, ...ect.) You may also need to get longer driveshafts. For the rear you have a few choices. Blocks are the cheapest way to go, and alot of people use them. I personally don't like blocks. You could go with full springs, some people don't like the ride of those though. There is also the shackle flip, little bit more work, but is nice in my opinion. There are a few things to consitter befor doing a lift. What is your goal ??? What do you plan on useing your truck to do ??? How big of tires do you want to run ??? Everything you do effects one thing or another.

3. triger

triger 1/2 ton status

Hey Z3PR, when doing the shackle flip, are you to use the stock springs or would it be a good ideal to use the ford 57" springs? I already have a 4 inch suspension lift but want to do the shackle flip. I am not sure but I think the lift is basically just extended shackles on the front and rear. So definitely looking to better that. Also wondering if you have used the extended ford shock mounts? Another way I am looking to go for the front. Is that a good ideal with only a 4" lift?

1990 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
    T

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

5. triger

triger 1/2 ton status

OK i see you can use whatever u want it just makes the lift higher with the longer ones....Thanks for the clarification...I am so excited about my new project i will be starting...I like to follow you around on this board cause I always see you posting interesting and new things I appreciate your knowledge...

T

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm no expert by any means. I've still got alot to learn myself. But I'd be happy to share what I've learned so far.

7. triger

triger 1/2 ton status

Yeah that's understandable, but I see that you have noproblem trying to help out other peeps. I try to see who is who around here and who tries to help out all the newbies as much as they can. I have been weheeling for awhile but always drove my little bronco II. But now it is time to step up to something bigger. All and all thanks for the info and hope to here more good ideals from you and the rest of the good fellows around here.

T