Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lift kits

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jj4465, Jul 31, 2003.

1. jj4465

jj4465 Registered Member

hey guys..well im new to this site....and i just bought a 76 chevy blazer 4x4...i was wondering if u can buy or order lift kits at local auto parts stores or if its harder than that...and what all comes with the kits? is everything included...or do i need to purchase more...i kinda of want a 6 inch lift..is 8 inch a little to high? anyways i was wondering if i could get some input on lift kits..thanks guys

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    hey guys..well im new to this site....and i just bought a 76 chevy blazer 4x4...i was wondering if u can buy or order lift kits at local auto parts stores or if its harder than that...and what all comes with the kits? is everything included...or do i need to purchase more...i kinda of want a 6 inch lift..is 8 inch a little to high? anyways i was wondering if i could get some input on lift kits..thanks guys

[/ QUOTE ] Welcome to CK5. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I also have a 76 Blazer K5. When I first got my Blazer I was really gung-ho too get a lift kit for it. Befor you go spending your money, lets take a momment too determend what you're wanting too do with your truck. I went 6" becouse I wanted it "Bigger" then a 4" lift kit. (Did I tell you that I didn't know how high a 4" kit would put it ???) Well anyways, being a poor boy, I went with blocks in the rear. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Now I've got the ORD 4" shackle flip + 3" Tuff Country sprinngs for back there. Up front I've got 6" Superlift springs + ORD greasable shackles. If I had too do it all over again I would serously think about calling the good people at ORD (970) 945-7777 , and have them put together a complete lift kit with everything needed. Please take a momment too fill out your profile, it'll let us know where you're located (In what state) and then we'll have a idea of what kind of wheeling you might be doing most often. Remember, a rock crawler is built differently then a mudder or desert racer. So it's all about what you want too do with your truck as too how you should build it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. jj4465

jj4465 Registered Member

im from nebraska..really wasnt planning on doing much offroading...some of course...but not a lot...just want a substantial lift that looks good....my first mods were gonna be exhaust...lift..and tires...

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

What part of Ne. ya from ??? I lived in Omaha most of my adult life. Lots of good mudding in Ne. Also got the sandhills in north centreal Ne. Western Ne. isn't too far from the Black Hills, and we got about every kind of wheeling up here. Not much sand, but about everything else. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif [ QUOTE ]
    really wasnt planning on doing much offroading...some of course...but not a lot...just want a substantial lift that looks good....my first mods were gonna be exhaust...lift..and tires...

[/ QUOTE ] Keep in mind, with larger tires, you'll need deeper gears of you'll just burn up your transmission. As far as the lift go's, you can get cheap ones, but they ride like crap. Also you have meny options for the rear. Blocks, shackle flips, Springer Suspension, ...ect. I don't like blocks becouse of the axle warp, but they're cheap and you can always upgrade too something better later on.

6. jj4465

jj4465 Registered Member

what all will be needed to be done to change the gears?

7. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

take each axle and a handfull of money and have a shop set em up. Unless you wanna get really adventureous. That or just get new front and rears with the ratio you want from a salvage yard.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    what all will be needed to be done to change the gears?

[/ QUOTE ] First off, what size tires do you plan on running ??? I was going too run 38's till it was explained why I would need a Dana 60 up front for them, and sence I just don't have the $$$ for one, I've decided too go 36's with 4:56 gears, so my transmission can live. Still will add a heavy duty tranny cooler though. But befor You decide on gears, determin what size tires. Alot of time you can find used axles with the gears you need already in them. 3/4 Ton axles is a fairly poppular swap becouse it's almost a strait bolt in. I bought my 3/4 ton axles (14 Bolt FF / Dana 44) for a whole whooping $250.00 . Yeah, I'm going too have too regear them, but I can live with that. Sometimes you can find them with the propper gears and no need too regear.