Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift Kits

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jeremy_C, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

Depending on what brand you buy, do they come with everthing absolutly nessacary to install it? I dont mean tools, but parts. If I buy a new lift kit say a rough country, what all parts will i have to buy extra?

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I think you'd be better off calling some place like ORD and have them put together a complete lift kit with every part you'll need. Most kits are missing something or another that'll hold you up.

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

rough country lifts have just about everything you wil need, unless you need to extened ur drive shafts or add shims or something, but usually people are ok, other than that it has every thing and at a really good price. they just ride rougher..but hey..its a truck! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Call ORD and get some Tough Country stuff.
    The list is longer than just springs, blocks, & shocks if you want to do it right.

You need:
    Front Springs
    Rear lift (springs, blocks, and/or shackle flip)
    Shocks
    Brake lines (some kits come with some lame drop down brackets)
    Steering correction

Then you will have to worry about what you are going to do with the driveshafts (might work...might not)

If you only go with 2.5-4" of lift you could get away without the steering stuff and the brake lines for a while...but you will need them sometime.

I would go with springs or shackle flip in the rear to stay away from blocks.

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

The complete kits that I have seen have had everything that you needed but shocks. You do pay for what you get. Some kits will come with longer brakelines and others will just come with drop brackets. Rear blocks or springs even. Just depends on how much you pay.

If you go higher like around 6" and up. Drivelines can come into play and that can get expensive fast.

6. atlantak-5er

atlantak-5er 1/2 ton status

I have rough country front springs. It rides like a lumber wagon. If this truck is your daily driver, I would stear clear of the rough counrty kit. Tough counrty is the way to go for a few bucks more.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I have rough country front springs. It rides like a lumber wagon. If this truck is your daily driver, I would stear clear of the rough counrty kit. Tough counrty is the way to go for a few bucks more.

[/ QUOTE ]With the ORD shackle flip in the rear. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

I found an advertisement in a fourwheel@Offroad magzine for a 4inch rancho...shocks included, for bout 350-375 dont sound too bad.

9. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

true... 350 aint bad... but how much is it worth to you to not pee blood after you drive your truck? Keeping your kidneys where they are is always a better investment than cheap stiff springs.

I would have to agree with some of the others here, go with a pair of TC fronts and to save some $$ go with an Echobit shackle flip in the rear with a 1" Zero-rate or a 1" block (to cure the saggy butt look). your kidney's will thank you for it.

Oh... per ORD's site, TC fronts are only $225.00 a pair... (some for sale in the for-sale forum for like $190.00) if you wanted to do blocks (not my preferred method but effective and cheap) they run between $10.00 and $30.00 in the for-sale forum.

10. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I just finished getting rid of my rancho. I don't even know if I will sell the springs as I would not wish that curse on anyone! I guess they would work if you had a big block 1-ton crew cab and used it only for towing...other than that they are too stiff.

Ranchos = 720 lb/in /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif (these were 1st gen springs)
    TC EZ-Rides = 300 lb/in /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif (these are 2nd gen)

Spring rate is a HUGE thing to look into when buying a lift!!!

If you haven't seen this you should take a look at it.
    http://coloradok5.com/springratetable.shtml

BTW: I think TC Heavy Duty springs are still about half the stiffness of rancho (and I have heard that Rough Country is right up there with Rancho).

11. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status