Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift law in Mass

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 87Blzr, Jul 24, 2000.

1. 87Blzr

87Blzr 1/2 ton status

I went to get a inspection sticker last week and this is what I found out for people in MA. They take the measurement from the bottom of the drivers door which is good because the drivers side of my truck sits lower than the pass side because of some broken leafs. I also parked my rear drivers tire in a two inch drop off that the guy had in his shop floor. I figures this would help also. heres the law. The factory measurement from the ground to the bottom of the drivers door should be 21 inches. They give you a whopping 2 inches up or down. Thank god for the hole in the floor and the broken leafs as my truck still measured 25 inches. The guy was nice and said he wasn't going to worry about a couple inches and said to tell anyone that questioned it that I had different tires on. That was very cool. I never measured my pass door to see how much I am really illegal. I have a 4 inch lift with 35's. You guys living in other areas of the country have it made. Mass has to be the worst state there is. There must be something I could do if I get slack. Pretty sad that a 4 inch lift with 35's is that illegal. Just doesn't seem right. Could they really only give you 2 inches to play with?

87 K5 Siverado, 68 SS 396 Camaro

2. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

sounds like it's time to make some extend-O doors, eh?!

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

3. Adrock

Adrock 1/2 ton status

where in mass do you live. i live in mass to and I am always looking for other K5ers to wheel with or just chat with.

Adam
    a.k.a. Adrock
    88 Chevy Blazer FI 383
    Aint nothin' like the sound of Chevy Thunder

4. MudRebel350

MudRebel350 1/2 ton status

I think new jersey is worse, u need lift papers and all this other crap.

J.D.
    88 Gmc Jimmy

5. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

God I would hate to live where you guys do. Here in Kansas we don't have smog inspections or lift laws. Thank god for the land of Bible wars and not modifaction wars.

Alex
    [​IMG]What me get stuck? NEVER!![​IMG]

6. jasong71

jasong71 Registered Member

the law actually states that it can be only 2 inches over or under stock height with stock tires on. So if you are running 35's, they have to take their added height into account when you go in. Also, only 4 wheel drive vehicles can have tires that extend beyond the wheel well.

7. Glenn

Glenn Registered Member

Enjoy it while it lasts BLzr4x4kid!

8. 87Blzr

87Blzr 1/2 ton status

Adrock, I live in Attleboro. Not too far from the RI line.
    Jasong71, is that in writing anywhere? How did you find that out? I would like to have a copy stating that as it would at least make my truck closer to being legal. The guy at the shop had this big thick book and it said nothing about stock tire height vs taller tires when it came to measuring.

87 K5 Siverado, 68 SS 396 Camaro

9. jasong71

jasong71 Registered Member

it is in the mass law books. you'd have to dig it out. the shops are lazy and the guy probably hasn't gone through half that book.