Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift laws by state

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1 FN HI K5, Dec 28, 2002.

1. 1 FN HI K5

1 FN HI K5 1/2 ton status

A friend emailed this to me i thought i would share the info.Lift laws by state <font color="red"> 1 FN HI K5 </font color>

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

click...save as...thanks dude!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

suprisingly- this is the first place I have seen Vermont's listed correctly. I have seen a few other sites that did not mention the GVWR as a factor- when in deed it is!
    It was missing the mudflap requirement- (any vehicle with tires bigger than came from factory) and also the tires sticking out beyond the fender- the cops here are suppose to be able to hold a string on the edge of the fender, and have it hit the ground without touching your tire. They also don't like combined kits- if you make your own lift kit etc.. or combine rancho with say rough country- they will site you for defective equipment.

The bumper height requirement sucks- mine is over, (technically) but some places measure from the lowest point, which in my case helps..once you get the inspection sticker- your good for a year, if you get pulled over for something else, they normally will bug you about the height etc.. but if you don't draw any more attention to yourself, but doing stupid things, they wont pull you over. I've seen them pull a truck off the road- because of the lift it had- it was like 4 different companies, all botched together, not a pretty site....they tagged it, and it was then towed, in order to get the truck out of the "impound" the guy had to remove the lift..
    (on site)

Brandy

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    FLORIDA

If your truck's net weight is less than 2,000 pounds, the max bumper height is 24 inches front and 26 inches rear. If it's more than 2,000 but less than 3,000, it's 27 front and 29 rear. And if it hits the scales between 3,000 and 5,000 pounds, it's 28 and 30 inches.

[/ QUOTE ] OOPS! Too tall. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

As if I was really worried about it. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Good link. I saved it too.

5. exodus

exodus Registered Member

Thank god i live in alabama land of no laws. no inspection no emission hell if it has 2 or more wheels its probly legal in AL /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Here in SD there is no inspections that I'm aware of. They got some crazy law about the tail light only being so high off the ground. If I run into any problems that way, I'll have a custom rear bumper made with upside down late 80's Camaro tail lights on the corners /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Kinda want to do that anyways. Will still keep the original tail light wired up too. Also think a set of lights wired into the back up lights circut will help brighten thing up when backing up. I'm thinking a swing out tire rack that mounts the spare low so it doesn't restrict view out the back window. and a skid plate to protect the gas tank.

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I think it has Idaho wrong. It was my understanding that you did not even have to have bumpers. the only hight issues there were had to do with taillights and headlights and mudflaps. Will have to look into it I guess.

8. captain chaos

captain chaos 1/2 ton status

i wish that north dakota's was true, but it isn't..
    north dakota law is...
    4" suspension, 4" body, 27" to the lowest point bumper, and largest tire 44".
    i know for a fact as every time i get caught driving my big pickup it cost's me $100.00 /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
    dave

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If it's bumper hight, could you make custom bumpers with skid plates hung low enough to pass thier laws ???

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

SOUTH DAKOTA

There aren't regulations for suspensions, per se, but the taillights can be no higher than
    72 inches

11. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

great link
    thanks mabe put it on the offical link page also just an idea
    HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!*** 2 all

12. 77blazin

77blazin 1 of a kine K5

Well I got 35s on mine with a 2 inch body lift for the 1978 K/5, but the laws here are getting stricter cause of the formalities of pre-modifications on our cars and trucks, the supposed "RECON" sticker is very harsh on modificated vehicles.
    Even if you change your rim size, you still need a recon sticker and papers proving that your vehicle is safe on the road.
    On the lights situation, Clear corners must have those red inserts or plan on getting pulled over by the Man and get cited every time he seen it.
    And worst of all, Blue lights are against the law here, where ever on your car it is. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    Michael /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

13. Thank's for the spec's thats a fun one to have around. But Utah's is out of date, we no longer go by wheel base. Thank heavens that was a night mare. Now it's a lot simpler they have broken it down to 4 GVW ratting's. some thing like under 1/2 ton the frame can be I think 24" of the ground. 1/2 to 3/4 ton is like 26". 3/4 to 1T is like 28". 1T and up is ike 30" If any one wants exact specs I can post them latter but I dont have them here now

14. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

also saved! I am dissapointed to find out I am still legal! I went out and measured my headlamps and there only 52". guess I'll have to lift it more!! Thanks for shareing info.

15. 1 FN HI K5

1 FN HI K5 1/2 ton status

This site has the most complete lift laws i have seen anyway glad i could share it with my friends here on ck5. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    As for being legal i am not /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif 30 inch frame height yea right im 37 inches,head lights 57inches dont even talk about fender flares i havent seen any i like. Mud flaps i hate those simi flaps but i know one day i will have to run them..Until the cops bug me im not..Maybe im lucky but the cops dont bother me i have been pulled over twice in 5 years once was a fixit ticket for frame height mud flaps. the other the cop just wanted to look at my truck...
    <font color="red"> 1 FN HI K5</font color> /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

16. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Maybe the cops were scared of you! When I had my 76 on the road, I had many,many violations. drove it for 2 years. NEVER got pulled over. I took it off the road and put my grandfathers buick on the road, a very NORMAL car, and got pulled over 3 times in 4 months! for stupid things!!

17. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Georgia is wrong.
    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    GEORGIA

If you modify the OE bumper more than 2 inches above (or below, for that matter) the manufacturer's spec, don't be surprised if you're cited.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I know because that was a bill that never became law because my club, SEMA and Southern fought it and shot it down.
    There is some stuff about tires covered on the books. There is also a frame hight limit but I don't recall what it is. Never been hasseled. Don't know anybody that has been hassled except to add on charges when they were a jerk or DUI.

18. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

The laws for North Carolina are wrong. The law is no limit except for the head lights cant be more than 52" at the middle from the ground. There is a hole truck club here that runs at the smallest a 10" lift up to a 16" lift. They are a bunch of pretty show trucks. Plus I already looked into the laws for my '87 K5. I will find the new law and post it for people that live in NC.

19. stump_puller

stump_puller 1/2 ton status

Cool here in Kentucky there are no laws as of yet. Thanks for the info I saved it also. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now I just need to get this damn truck back on the road /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif.

Later,
    Don
    /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif