Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift Laws in NJ

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84Blazr, Jan 2, 2001.

1. 84Blazr

84Blazr Registered Member

Does anyone know the lift laws in New Jersey concerning what size lift requires a stability test? Does anyone have a 6" lift in NJ and if so what was required for inspection?

Know any GOOD Wheelin' in Northwest Jersey?

2. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Hey 84!

Here is a site to check out for NJ lift laws.
    http://www.customtruckshowcase.com/laws/NewJersey.html

There is an egroups mailing list for NJFourWheelers you might wanna check out. There are people on it from all over the state. You can also go into the archived messages and search for lift law info (and stories [​IMG]).
    http://www.njfourwheelers.com

Hope this helped!

<font color=blue>"You call it clearance, I call it head room." [​IMG]</font color=blue>

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Last I remember, after 6" of lift, you need the tilt test and 38" was max for tire height. I've heard of some people getting special registration and insurance for occasional use vehicles. I dont remember all the details, but someone in NJ 4Wheelers might now.
    As for trails, when you find some, let me know! I live in Bergen County near Paramus, and all we have up here is the Sheraton/Sharp Plaza trails. They get boring after a while. A guy I go to school with lives in Vernon and he says theres some places to go muddin' up by Moutnain Creek. Check the trails board, there will probably be a run down at Fort Dix this spring.</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Here's an excerpt from the law from one of the pages listed above: (7) Vehicles originally equipped with bumpers must have them securely fastened, no less then 16" from the ground to the bottom of the bumper, and shall extend the full width of the vehicle.

How do you do that with a lift? Do you have to build some sort of dropped bumper?

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

5. walt88

walt88 1/2 ton status

These laws a ridiculous, I live in Jersey also. Luckly my garage doesn't care about lifts or anything, i just got a fresh 2 year sticker. I got an idea, this guy i know has a 81 blazer or something, original owner. He said from the factory that year, you could get 4" lift. I would just claim that if I had to get my truck inspected. Dodges come factory lifts.

Keep the shiny side up, and the greasy side down.

6. walt88

walt88 1/2 ton status

It says no less than 16" not no more dummy.

7. walt88

walt88 1/2 ton status

It says no less than 16" not no more man.

8. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Damn NJ a little stricked? Cali sucks because of smog laws, but you can lift it as high as you want here......

If it ain't a Chevy, don't raise it up!

9. 84Blazr

84Blazr Registered Member

Thanks for all info guys. I had always thought that 6" was the magic number and that anything over needed a tilt test, but in a recent article in Petersen's 4 wheel & Off-road they ran through all the lift laws in the country and for NJ they said "anything over 4" from stock needed a stability test".......I guess they have some false info. How involved is a stability test anyway? and is Lodi the testing facility that does it in NJ? ..........................NJ SUCKS!!!

Know any GOOD Wheelin' in Northwest Jersey?

10. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

To make it worse, we have "California Emissions" out here too. Don't know if it is as strict as yours, but bad nonetheless.

<font color=blue>"You call it clearance, I call it head room." [​IMG]</font color=blue>

11. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Well about 2 years ago they would not pass my Blazer on visual inspection because it had the wrong timing chain cover! I hate Cali, looking to move out of state in about 2 years.....

No machines are perfect !

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Be real happy that the lady that was in charge of NJ DOT or whatever, and probably had that crap (as well as emissions testing) enacted in NJ is now on Geroge Bush's team somehow still related to emissions and such.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds links: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html>http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html</A>