Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lift laws...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Randy92782, May 3, 2007.

1. Randy92782

Randy92782 1 ton status

ok after the whole "impounded" debocle i decided to post a new thread. we all need to learn a few things and i need to find a place or site to look up our lift laws for each state. what to look for and what to look "out" for. just an idea. maybe noone will have this trouble again. any clues to where to look?
    EDIT: FOUND IT. CHECK THIS OUT
    http://geocities.com/coryseiber/jeep/laws.html

Last edited: May 3, 2007
  2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

One can usually type is "Lower Slobovia vehicle laws" into their favorite search engine then go from there. It's called search. Not only does it work well on stuff like that, but it's an amazing, yet very rarely used feature on websites like this.

Or you could possibly turn up a site like this. Though, you should be forewarned that the information may or may not be correct, therefore you should look for official laws posted on the web. Some states are harder to find than others.

When all else has failed, you might want to post up a Bat signal for LEO's on sites like this. They tend to hang out on sites like this because they have it in for rednecks in mall crawlers and they like to give them crap for no reason at all.

3. Randy92782

Randy92782 1 ton status

ok 2 questions..
    1. what's a SLV? and

2. what's a LEO?

4. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

This guy is hilarious:haha: :haha: :haha:

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Don't have a clue as to SLV. A LEO is a law enforcement officer. Believe it or not, there's a few around this site. There's one guy, in particular, some douchebag from Oklahoma who likes to trash nOObs and definitely takes great pleasure in coming up with new and exciting ways to tell people they are full of crap. You should really watch out for this guy. In fact, there's a few in the Lounge that claim this cop has great power that extends all over the state. So far, there are reports that would verify that, but so far, the rest of the country appears to be safe from this assclown.

Watch out for him.

6. Randy92782

Randy92782 1 ton status

not hilarious...ignorant. haha

7. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

Just curious wether you can legally get busted in another state other than the one you're registered in?

8. burban89

burban89 1/2 ton status

:haha: :rotfl: :haha: :rotfl:

9. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

Erm, this can't be right can it?

Arizona - Lifted must have mudflaps no more than 8" from ground and must cover all of the tread; Max Ht of Vehicle is 13.6'

Why would we need mud flaps? There is no mud here!!!!!

10. Randy92782

Randy92782 1 ton status

max ht. is 13.6 ft? holy crap. i believe that is pretty big . am i wrong? my truck had 9 inches of lift and i could still drive through the McDonalds drive-thru. our law here is a bumper height law. think it's like 20- 30 inches or somethin

11. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

Not the 13.6' part, but all trucks that are lifted must have mud flaps?

I can barley make it though my taco bell drive through, they have this thing that hangs down over the drive through, and I always hit it, but I never hit the actual roof above the drive through, not sure why they have the thing hanging down.

12. drop the hammer

drop the hammer 1/2 ton status

I believe that if your truck is legally registered, inspected and insured, you can drive it anyway. I am in the military and have run into this before with tags from one state on a truck taht is too high for another. If your rig is fully legal for your home of residence then it is LEGAL. Legal is Legal, and if a cop tries to bust your for there states lift laws, they have no case against your cuase your vehicle is, once again, Legal.

..............Police, a neccessary evil.

13. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had a similiar problem when I lived in the DC area. Actually lived in Arlington, and was going somewhere when a cop pulled me over. He gave me a ticket for tinted windows, cowl hood, tinted tail lights and a cracked windshield. When I went to court I told the judge that my truck was registered, inspected and insured in NYS, then the cop moved to have all the tickets put into one, so he got me anyway. But if you truck is legal in all senses from YOUR state, then they really can't do anything, inless they want to be pr!cks about it.

Had a cop tell me that Flowmasters were illegal, only street rods are allowed to have them....WTF????

14. Randy92782

Randy92782 1 ton status

i can see why there are some rules.
    tinted windows...ehh it is their safety and they can't see cause of it but even if they didn't have tinted windows, the cop isn't in danger?

cowl hood.... no way. unles you have a 8 inch cowl i'd say not

tinted taillights... another toss up. brake lights are dimmer but they can still be seen if the driver behind is payin attention like they are supposed to.

cracked windshield...well yay and nay. a crack is a crack. but a completely busted windshield is a different story

Flowmaster?... no freakin way. if it's legal for inspection there's nothing they can do. they do sell offroad mufflers though. i can see that side of it.

LAWS ARE CRAZY SOMETIMES. WE JUST HAVE TO DEAL WITH THEM I GUESS

15. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Only applies to "trucks" not Blazers or Suburbans, they consider those SUV's or "wagons" weird

16. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

You are wrong. The vehicle has to conform to the laws in whatever state that it is. A great example is the state of Utah and UHP enforcing Utah state vehicle laws on vehicles that show up to Moab during EJS. There are even greater examples that get tested in court all the time and so far, there has been no court saying that it cannot be done. There might come a time though that it might happen.

The only thing is most cops will not ticket for it unless there's some other "circumstances." Most of the time, folks are just given a warning and sent on their way.

17. dreadstealth

dreadstealth Registered Member

18. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

Thanks for clearing that up!

19. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

agreed, i live with a deputy. even his 4x4 is not fully legal. they pull you over so they can see that you have insurance and are not being a douche and doing something illegal. in OR, you have to have a front plate, this is simply so they have one more thing to pull you over for. they just want to make sure all your crap is in order. i would say at least 90% of the time, if you get a ticket, it is you that is being the ass, not the cop.

i support my local law enforcement, even if it means i have to pay them money because my tires stick out of my fenders by 10" on each side. i would rather pay some stupid ticket then have some drunk driver hit my kid and kill him.

20. lectric80

lectric80 3/4 ton status

Utah cops are PITA, but the RC site is not up to date. Utah has changed the laws and now it based on bumper measurements. My cousin is a UHP trooper and he explained it to me. Basically there are three possible measurements based on the type of vehicle. The downside is my K5 is grouped with all of these weak SUV's that are on the road these days, and it reduces maximum bumper height by 2". Oh well that's what my welder was created for, lower bumpers means no trouble.