Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lift mostly done, body lean wtf?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stoney126, Sep 17, 2006.

1. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

hey all, got most of my lift done just got to button up a few things up. There is noticable body lean. The passenger side is higher by about 2 inchs. The fenders are not lined up true so I cant measure correctly from there. You can look at the cab and tell its a lil off. I cant tell if it was really there before. It is an 89 crewcab that has seen lots of work. The only 3 things I can think of are the passanger side spring need to settle, body mounts are bad or what im dreading the frame is off.

Also I have not put on the sway bar yet, could this have any thing to do with it? I have turned the wheels and the body moves up and with the turning of the wheels but when it pointed straight the driver side is lower.

Thanks for any info guys

2. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

nothing ? can I measure the body mounts?

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

When I did the shackle flip on my K5, I took off both springs without labelling them... when I put them back she leaned something fierce. :doah:

I just swapped springs left-to-right and she was much more even. :dunno:

-- A

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

What do think caused this? One spring was more flattended than the other? Was it obvious when you took them off?

5. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

ah, the chevy lean. mine does the same thing in the opposite direction. 3 different spring setups and it has always leaned to one side or the other. dont know what the deal is but it drives straight and the tires wear even so Im not gonna mess with it.

6. dremu

Oh yeah, I had four springs, in four different heights.

I assume that one, prolly the driver's side, settle more over the years ... another decade or two and the other one woulda settled too. I presume the fronts were bunged as well, but I put in a set of Rancho fronts when I did the flip, and they were pretty even.

I ended up doing 52"s in front and 56"s in the back, taking a set of the 9-leaf monsters off my one-ton in the rear and picking and choosing leaves on both ends. All four are now pretty even and the truck is as level as a thirty-year old rednecked kludge can be :)

-- A

7. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

all 4 packs are new, should that have anything to do with it?

8. dremu

Eww, that's bad. I'd check height to the frame on both sides ... body mounts could be trashed or the body could be crooked or something.

-- A

9. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

Geeez I didnt even think to check frame height. When checking for clearance on the body mounts am I just going from frame to body and How much room should be there.? I appreciate all the help