Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

LIFT MY TRUCK

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by IDGMC, Mar 10, 2000.

1. IDGMC

IDGMC 1/2 ton status

I've got a 2-1/2" lift (pro-comp) with springs up front and blocks in back. I'm starting to get into trails a little more and a few more inches of lift would be a good thing. So what i'm wondering is if i used a 4" shackel flip on the rear..ditch the blocks and custom fabricate some inch and a half shackels up front with my 2-1/2" springs, would that work. (They say that less arch in your springs gives better articulation so thats why i want to keep my springs plus i'm a cheap bastard) Jeeps and Landcruisers use longer shackels all the time...why not on my Truck? Other than drilling out the rivits holding the front shackels on, it should be pretty easy??? and I know OffRoadDesign offers extended rear (front) shackels, but it seems like thoughs would be even easier to fab! Any feed back would be helpful. Thanks Guys

2. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

O.k. on the rear, the shakle flip is the way to go, least for me it was. I did however rotate my pinion down by welding on new perches. In the front, ORD shackles are only 1" longer and they give 1/2 inch of lift. Since you are only lifting one end of the spring, you only get 1/2 of your shackle length in lift. You would have to use 4" longer shackles to get 2" of lift. This would rotate your front pinion way way down and there is no cure for that, least not a cheap one, would cost you big bucks to rotate your knuckles. Cant rotate the chunk because one of the spring perches is on it. So the short answer is to get a set of new springs for the front and sell your old ones. I have 4 " Tuff Country EZ ride springs and they flex awesome, ask anybody here that has seen the pics.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I just double-checked ORD's homepage, and the shackles are only 1/2" longer than stock, so lift would be maybe 1/4", but they are not longer to give lift, only to provide clearance between the frame and spring. I agree with Depdog that long shackles on the front would cause problems including throwing the alignment way off. I think the best bet would be to just buy new springs.

4. I would recommend the shackle flip in the rear and a cheap fix in the front would be to fab a front spring hanger and use a super shackle in the rear !! If you mess with the pinion angle too much it is costly to fix, like DepDog was saying, but the spring perch has to be milled along with the punkin or the Knuckles being rotated. If you have eqaul lift in the front hanger and the shackle your pinion angle will be better.

<font color=red>BigBurb<font color=red>[​IMG][​IMG]

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

More thoughts...
    Keep in mind also that the longer the shackle you install up front, the more leverage is being exerted on the frame mounting points in a turn. It sounds as if you do some street driving, so most of the forces involved in making a big ol' K5 turn ends up at the shackle mounts on the frame. With those kinds of forces, cracks and breaks aren't too far out of sight. Just my 2 cents...

Semper Maintenance!

6. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    I've been thinking of a way to net a few more "'s under my 4" blazer. I don't know how much you guys know about shackle reversals. On jeeps, & Sami's they take the shackle from the front of the truck and put it in the back and replace the chassis anchor to the front. Why not make a slightly dropped bracket for the front. Its only rivited on (my truck anyway) to net 2-3" and equal length shackles in the rear. This would be the same as higher springs. You would need lines & d/s's.

When one of you guys do it, let me know how it goes...

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=blue>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez