Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift needed for 33" tires on my 73 K5?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Joe Kitzmiller, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Joe Kitzmiller

Joe Kitzmiller Registered Member

Will I need a lift for my 73 K5 if it has 33" tires? If so what kind of lift is best to keep from getting body roll; suspension or body? Just enough increase in height to keep the tires from rubbing the inner fender is desirable. thanks

2. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

i say, go with a 4" lift if you want a little height on it and to clear the 33s good.

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Many, many aspects of this have been covered before. Try searching for "tire fit lift" and see what you find.

In short, it depends on the truck. I put 33"s on my '74 (it was all I had, being broke) with no lift, and driving in town I had no issues.

I now have 35"s on that '74 with a 4" lift and enough fender cutting to fit Rhode Island in my wheel wells.

The body-vs-suspension lift thing has also been beaten to death; searching will find all manner of commentary.

For 'real' wheelers, oftentimes a 4" shackle flip in back and 4" lift springs in front, while not cheap, are your best bet.

-- A

4. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have a 73 that I cut the fenders on and put 35s on. Also had a 84 that I put 36s bias ply swampers (35.5" tall) neither with any problem my bro in law has a 77 with 33s no trimming no rubbing when wheeling It depends on you actaul height of the tires also all of these were on stock rims

5. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I plan on a 3 inch suspension lift to clear 33's. it will be enough, plust there will be no steering mods, and driveshaft angles should be happy. I want to get the tough country front and rear springs. just letting you know how I plan on clearing them. :p: