Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

LIFT on JIMMY

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JimmyJuneau, Jul 10, 2001.

1. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

I am looking into finally getting a lift for my truck I found a tough country one in a magazine for about 3oo bucks without the arm its a 4inch lift my question is What do pieces do i need to put a 4inch lift on my truck I want to order it all at once cause I live in Alaska and it could take forever to get there if its all seperate. Also I have 31 inch tires on it know what size should I go to? I dont have any trails where I live casue of those DAMN TREEHUGGERS! So its mostly for going camping in and for the snow. Thanks Brian

1985 GMC JIMMY

2. Look in the for sale parts section, I thought I saw a couple in there for sale.

Later, Doug

4 wheelin's not a job, it's an adventure!

3. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

The Rough Country kit should come complete, the only thing you might need is the raised steering arm that might not come with the kit. I just put the 4in Pro Comp lift on mine this weekend and it was all complete. If your not doing to many trails you can run 33's just because of fuel econony and cost, but 35's will also fit with no problems and look much better.[​IMG]

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red>SEMPER FI TO MY BLAZER

4. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

You might need the extended brake lines. I didn't but they are close. I am going to replce them soon.....Dan

5. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I forgot about those, yea definately. I got them when I had only a 2 1/2 in lift because they were already stretched. I wouldn't take a chance with a 4 in .

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red>SEMPER FI TO MY BLAZER

6. lehtola

lehtola 1/2 ton status

you can get by without the brake lines if you are not doing trails. I'd get them anyway but it's not necessary right away. in fact...i haven't yet put mine on and I've got a 4" with 35's. you will probably want to get a new steering arm also. you can drive around without getting a new one but your steering radius is not going to be like it was before the lift. The steering arm is about $50...the brake lines...$80.

1990 GMC Jimmy 350/TH700R4/NP241/10 bolts, 4" skyjacker lift, 35x12.50R15 BFG All Terrains on 15x10 AR Baja's, Flowmasters.

7. nd_4_mud

nd_4_mud Registered Member

Before you think of what size tire you should get think about what gears you have. Having 35 inch tire with 3.08 gears is going to suck. But 33 with 3.08 might not be to bad, but i still think with 33 you should have at least 3.73. The closer you are to matching your power band to stock the better off yo will be. That is just my 2 cents.

Knowledge is the key to the universe, and I hold that key when i am sleeping.[​IMG]

8. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I just recently installed a Rough Country 4" lift on my truck. I went with the kit with new springs (no blocks) (a) because my trucks original springs were sagging and (b) because I don't like blocks. The kit came with everything including springs (f/r), shocks, and steering arm. It also had new extension brackets for the brake lines, but I went with stainless steel. They look better and have much more room than the brackets would have provided. I also had to get new tubing for my diff breathers as they would not reach comfortably after the lift.

The installation was pretty simple. It took me a couple of evenings. The hardest parts were getting the truck up high enough so that the axle would clear the new springs once dropped and getting the steering arm off. I used a tie rod separator to get the drag link off and a 3lb sledge with a bit of banging to get the arm off. But it wasn't bad at all.

I originally had 32s under my truck they filled the wells nicely but rubbed slightly when turning with a bump or incline. The 4" lift and the non-sagging springs raised the truck about 6" total. My 32s looked pretty small after that. I just had 35s put on yesterday and they look great.

Thats the combo I would definitely recommend. I know you said you were looking at a Tough Country lift, but I would recommend the Rough Country lift. You can order it direct from them for the best price. They are very friendly and helpful. You can find there number at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.roughcountry.com>http://www.roughcountry.com</A>. If you search this site, you will find nothing but rave reviews of their lifts and their prices. I am very happy with how complete mine was, how easily it all installed, and the look and ride of it after the fact.

85 GMC Jimmy, 305 w/TH700-NP208, 4" lift, 35X12.5 BFG MTs, 15x10 Hellcats, Smittybuilt tube nerf bars and bumbers